An amp that would add some bass to Grado SR225
Jan 8, 2008 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dima1109

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting an amp for my SR225. Budget: ~250
I would love to get an RSA Hornet, but it doesn't seem like i have the money. My specific request for the amp - it has to add a little bass to my headphones. Not too much, but a fair amount. Even with the tape mod, they are still not quite giving me enough.
Thanks.

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I was at the same stage week ago. I didn't get enough bass even with tape mod. I found that RS-2's give the same amount or more bass using standard bowls.

I have also found that my friend's Little-Dot II+ gives a whole lot of depth to the sound. You could give a try to Little-Dot Mk III which has an adjustable gain so you can match the gain for Grados.

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Start from trying resistors in series with each headphones' channel, say around 100 ohms to start and then find the sweet spot. Or, borrow from somebody a passive attenuator and while decreasing the volume on it and increasing it on the amp, observe the changing amount of bass. Then you can measure the resistances set on the attenuator and you know what resistors you need. It's a naive but also simple and cheap trick. I don't like it's side effects like more muddy sound but some other find it an improvement, so...
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at the same stage week ago. I didn't get enough bass even with tape mod. I found that RS-2's give the same amount or more bass using standard bowls.

I have also found that my friend's Little-Dot II+ gives a whole lot of depth to the sound. You could give a try to Little-Dot Mk III which has an adjustable gain so you can match the gain for Grados.

If you want to add base to your grado's Little dot amps will not do that for you, in fact they may make it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back