an amp for my future k702's
Aug 2, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 24
why the hell are people mentioning chinese OTL tube amps for a low impedance phone?
Use your brains please and dont mislead the OP.
OP: you probably arent going to find tubes that adequately drive the 701 for cheap... you're probably going to have to go for a solid state unit in which case I guess i'll drop a bump for talisman?

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #18 of 24
Aug 2, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #19 of 24
I have a k702 that is on the way right now, and I'm also looking around for a suitable amp to drive it. It'll probably be a Woo Audio - I'm now torn between WA3+ and WA6. My budget is $500, so WA6 is a bit of a stretch. But then again, I'm reading that the WA6 will be able to supply enough juice to adequate drive the 702. Decisions, decisions...

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #20 of 24
Naglfar, th WA's can't power them properly since they are made for higher impedance phones. Get a amp with low output impedance and high current output and a large enough voltage swing. The X-Can V8P works best out of the few amps I've tried.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 24
OP to further complicate your life I will add the Heed CanAmp as possibly the best option not only because of its synergy w/ the K701/2 but due to its reasonable price. The Novo by Graham Slee or the Hifiman EF2 are nice as well. Although my best suggestion is for you to go to a meet and try the amps yourself. Good luck.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So true I heard them on a SPL Phonitor and they sounded amazing,but look at the price of that thing. If I had the money I'd take the plunge for sure.

How about the SPL auditor, it has all the same guts but without cross feed stuff?

BTW your internal soundcard will be quite noisy.

I have a pair of K702s and use it with an apogee duet (dac). Once they burn in I will go for the auditor
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #23 of 24
Also being a low impediance phone, would amp choices for a Denon D5000 be about the same as for the K702s? Am currently looking at the LittleDot I+ which puts out 800mW into 32 ohms to get with a pair of the Denons.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also being a low impediance phone, would amp choices for a Denon D5000 be about the same as for the K702s? Am currently looking at the LittleDot I+ which puts out 800mW into 32 ohms to get with a pair of the Denons.

Yeah, I would think so. Usually the higher output power means how much more the sound will be controlled. Bass will be further tightened as well as smoothing the entire sound. Grado's benefit from high power/current output amps a lot. Denons usually have somewhat muddy bass unamped, but the D1001 sounded very tight and controlled when pushed with my X-CanV8P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back