An amp for laptop or not?
Jan 29, 2006 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kitaoji

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've only been a pseudo-audiophile since summer '05, so go ahead and laugh at my newbie-ness.

My laptop is my main source of entertainment (i.e., CD/DVD/game player/report writer/etc.) and I'm thinking of getting an amp for it, mainly because the audiocard on it sounds absolutely miserable (plus, as a college student, I really have no space or money to even think about actual players). My only exposure to high-end audio equipment was a Jeff Rowland Model-1 Amp through some decent players (which I've completely forgotten the name of), and the NAIT 5i which I auditioned over Christmas (in my mom's dashed considerations for a replacement for above setup) and I'd like to recreate some of that atmosphere through my IEMs.

I've been setting my eyes on the Headroom Bithead Amp for some time now; because I've heard some nice reviews of it around the web (and also because I'm planning to return a UE super.fi 5pro to them - or maybe not). I don't know if there are comparable, or better instruments. (my budget is up to $250.)

I'm planning to use this amp for my Creative Zen Nano as well, so I'm looking for light, battery-powered amps that I can carry around with my small machine around campus or on car/plane rides. (Or demonstrating to friends and relatives why they need upgrades
wink.gif

My earphones include a Shure E4c (for the laptop) and the UE 3.studio (for travel). I have no plans to throw speakers for my laptop, since I've agreed to stick to headphones only with my roommate.

In short:
1) Should I sacrifice my UE Sf5p's for an amp, or not? (most of the music I have is 160 kbps MP3)
2) Is the Bithead amp good, or are there much better choices? (Preferably they should run on rechargeable AAA's and AA's, because I have a TON of them; and here's the music I DON'T listen to: hip-hop, opera, trance, heavy-metal, bass-heavy music... my tastes lie in blues, jazz, chamber-classical, and anime music which runs anywhere from cute, fluffy-sounding songs to symphonic background soundtracks... but I have much love for accoustic.)

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear some wonderful inputs!

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Have you considered getting an external soundcard, like the Creative Sound Audigy or M-Audio transit, then an amp?

The IEMs that you listed really don't require amping as much as a far cleaner source, IMHO, than the standard laptop integrated sound. If you laptop is anything like my Acer, it truly would be worth the investment to get a different sound card.

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 7
I believe the Bithead is an external sound card as well, although having both amp and DAC integrated might compromise the situation. I was planning to use it mainly as a soundcard for my laptop, and on the occasions I have relatively long trips or breaks to use the Zen Nano extensively, I'd use it as an amp. I'm using it mainly to improve sound quality, not necessarily loudness - I usually have the volume down to 20/40 on the player.

My main concern is really - will it truly improve the sound on my laptop? The costs I'd be incurring would be to return the sf5pros to headroom, since they cost the same. If it does so substantially, then that would be great. (My cousin recently bought a Dell desktop and I was impressed, but don't have the space for the harman/kardon soundsticks)

If there isn't significant improvement with the IEMs (having spent so much, I won't be touching full sized headphones for a long time), then I may as well indulge in earphone-schizophrenia and enjoy the different sounds coming from my two IEMs.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 7
had a similar problem a while back. i kept my phones and ran them off my laptop until i was able to get an external sound card and this past week i was finally able to get an amp. the thing about good headphones is that they allow you to hear the improvements that you make to the rig.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 7
For a dirt cheap improvement, just try something like the $30 Turtle Beach Audio Advantage external soundcard dongle. The best $30 improvement you can make.

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd suggest Echo Indigo for the laptop - cleanest laptop soundcard available, imo, and it has a good built-in amp. The super.fi 3 shouldn't really need an amp when you're portable. And the e4c is probably just as good as the super.fi 5pro you're considering.

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 7
why not save the money and opt for a dedicated dac and a dedicated amp setup?

i was in the same boat that you are in now. i thought about buying an external sound card, hoping that it would improve the sounds. i also thought about getting a relatively cheap dac/amp combo like a bithead or a corda. but some of the people that i talked to in the forum suggested that those kinda upgrades are really marginal. having a dedicated dac and amp are better worth.

just wanted to share my little experience with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back