An amazing recording of Tchaikovsky's music
Apr 18, 2005 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
Tchaikovsky, a giant of music romanticism.
What best represents his towering achievement?
Piano concerto #1, Violin concerto, Symphonies #4, 5, 6 or ballets such as Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, or his opera Eugene Onegin, or his orchetsral showpieces like 1812 or Romeo and Juliet....
I own all of the above except for the opera, but could the best of Tchaikovsky be this CD ?
To me it is (Tchaikovsky/Arensky Piano Trios, Naoxs 8.550467).

B0000013S5.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

First let's talk about recording quality.

Piano--simply the best I have heard in any of my recordings, CD or SACD.
Violin--comparable to any CD or SACD I own, lots of airiness.
Cello--comparable to any CD or SACD I own, very vibrant and clear, bowing action is faithfully captured.
(my classical CD/SACD collection is about 350 with quite a few audiophile recordings)
Three instruments all captured in their finest form with a realistic sense of space--this is the holy grail of chamber music recording.
The cello is appropriately placed in front of the piano in the soundstage, and with close miking it is easy to hear the cello's vibrant sound even when the piano is loud. My biggest complaint about piano and cello in live concerts is that pianists play too loud and I can't hear the cello (almost always happens). The pianist plays very loud in this CD and I can still hear the cello--an improvement over live concerts, thanks to superb recording and mixing.
All in all, this is the best sounding CD I have owned to date.

Second, about the performance.

I actually have not heard another version of the trio, but American Record Guide said this: "it beats anything in the current catalog.... Naxos amazes me. Americans are just not used to the idea that the cheapest disc on the market might be the best. But it is."
Why listen to the critics when you can listen for yourself? This is simply the most passionate chamber music performance I have ever heard, on disc or in concert (glad that my university hosts one of the best chamber music concert series in the world).
But we don't see big names on the disc? Wait--the Ashkenazy--yes, Vovka is the son of Vladimir. It is only natural to expect an intimate understanding of Russian music from this gifted young pianist--no disappointment here.
While some prefer serenity and syncronism in chamber music, I am all for passion and spontaneity, which are what this disc is all about, but not without sensitivity.

Finally, let's talk about the music itself, which is what really counts.

Tchaikovsky wrote this piece to commemorate his most loyal advocate, the great pianist Nicolai Rubinstein. And he wrote in the trio genre under the encouragement of Madame von Meck. When Tchaikovsky is writing for his dearest proponent and patron, what can be in this peice but pure passion and fire? Yet this is an elegiac piece for Rubinstein, and rightfully filled with melancholy. Passion and melancholy, is there any composer more capable of expressing these two moods simultaneously than Tchaikovsky, or even living them simultaneously? But great music is always transcendental, and here Tchaikovsky often brings the elergy into the heights of pure bliss.
To me this is the most passionate music Tchaikovsky has ever written, and its candidness and instrumental simplicity amplify the feeling.
The third movement contains a climax which I consider the most spectacular and moving in all of piano music from Russsia, including the Tchaikovsky's #1, Rachmaninov's #2 and #3, as played by the likes of Richter, Horowitz, Van Cliburn and Earl Wild.

I don't claim to have heard all the music composed in the romantic style--who has? Until I hear music with more sheer emotional energy, both gentle and wild, this trio to me represents the pinnacle of music romanticism.

What more can I say about this recording?
The recording qaulity is the best I own, the performance is the most passionate I have heard in chamber music, and the music is nothing short of the apex of romanticism.
May be two more things:
The Arensky trio is not a filler but a memorable composition in its own right, superbly recorded in the same session.
Naxos CD alsways sells at the budget price--but you already know that.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 12
Nice review, ill find the disc because I don't listened to that trios.
My favorite music of Tchaikovsky is the 6º Symphony with that amazing final. I like Markevich's version and Svetlanov. The last is very passionate, with metals (trumpets, etc) very 'russian'.

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Nice! I'm not a big fan of chamber music, but the samples on Amazon sound alright, probably pick this up.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 12
thanks for the heads up! now i'll probably have to go and get it..

tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 12
It is amazing that Naxos can afford to produce CDs like this.
Considering this CD is recorded in 1990, the sound quality is almost unbelievable.
The recording is done in Clara Wieck Auditorium in Heidelberg.
Perhaps that hall has amazing acoustics (judging by its name it probably does).

Undeniably, major labels also try put out budget price CDs, and you can find some goodies in them.
But sometimes budget CDs from major labels makes me feel they is no respect for their own products and customers. Often they take out the liner notes. Or they take out all the recording information. In one outrageous instance, the liner note says Sviatoslav Richter died in 1981 instead of 1997 (EMI Encore Series/Schuman/Fantasy in C).

Sooner or later I should start a rant thread against major classical labels...

Jan 15, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 12
Just a quick follow up: I finally picked this up (after it sat on my wish list for months), and it really is an amazing recording - what sonics!

Highly recommended - and hard to go wrong at Naxos prices.

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Just a quick follow up: I finally picked this up (after it sat on my wish list for months), and it really is an amazing recording - what sonics!

Highly recommended - and hard to go wrong at Naxos prices.

I am amazed to see this old thread being revived. I personally now think it was foolish of me to start a thread to rave about one recording. But this recording still has a special place in my heart. It seems to me Naxos price has gone up to almost $10 on Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and $8.99 in Tower. What is going on?

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I am amazed to see this old thread being revived. I personally now think it was foolish of me to start a thread to rave about one recording. But this recording still has a special place in my heart. It seems to me Naxos price has gone up to almost $10 on Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and $8.99 in Tower. What is going on?

I haven't noticed the price hike - are you looking at double disc compilations or SACDs?

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 12
The price is up in the EC as well. Perhaps they are affected by the Hyperion decision and must now pay more royalties? Or maybe it just reflects increased costs associated with production and distribution of music. Whatever the reason, I'm never surprised when a price goes up. Sadly, it makes Naxos less of a bargain but it's still very economical.

May 20, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 12
A friend of mine played the piece at a school concert.
He showed me the piano score, and, my gooness, there are so many notes.
Yes, the sheer number of notes is staggering, and my friend says it is real test of stamina.
The piano part is thought to be the most difficult that Tchaikovsky had ever written.
The densest passage seem to be sheets of sound, and it is exhilirating.
Looks like Coltrane is not the first musician to use a sheet of sound to inspire a near-religious musical experience.
Although it was only an student performance, the music itself was so moving that several audience members had tears running down, something I have never seen in these concerts before.
This must be considered one of the best chamber music piece ever written.

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 12
I like the recording, the sound is indeed very good.
But to me the piano is till too much omnipresent. The piano has a gorgeous sound but a bit too loud at times.
I agree you can 'still hear' the cello, but I tink the piano is a bit too much 'close', it covers too much left to right, like for a single piano recording. The violin and the cello too much 'on their respective side'.
Still a great sound !
I did not know the tchaikovsky trio and I am enjoying it !
Lionel

Nov 1, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 12
My copy of this recording arrived.

Such realistic sound! And for all of $5.50 shipped too.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back