An alternative to the bad Ibasso DX-100
Sep 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rfilho

New Head-Fier
I bought an Ibasso DX-100 last month and it came defective (the battery wouldn't hold charge). I returned and ended up loosing the shipping costs even though it wasn't my fault.

The DX-100 is nice but not that much better than my Ipod. The quality of sound is a good improvement but overall, I think it's just not worth it. It's very big and heavy, it would give me a deafening thump every time I turned it on, it's too slow and the interface is far from apple.

I'm now looking for a new portable player, any suggestion?

I've got a triple-fi and an ER4 (and I'm thinking of getting one CIEM). I listen to classic and house music.

Thanks!!

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 20
Get the Sony NWZ-Z1060 or NWZ-F806.  The Sony has much better sound quality than the iPod Touch Gen 4 that I have.  The two players run Andriod OS with Gingerbread for the Z, while the F has ICS.  The Z will be updated to ICS at the end of the year.  The F806 also plays FLAC.  Both features S-Master MX digital amp technology.  

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644808501&SR=nav:electronics:personal_audio_phones:personal_audio:mp3_players:ss

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 20
1st

Sorry to hear about your ill's with the DX100.

A couple questions come to mind, On the battery I understand, somewhat. Why?

There is a known "bug" that the player continues to play even though it got to the last song, it ends up chewing the battery in no time flat.

basically the player does not stop....

2nd

what firmware version where you on?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 20
Purk,

how's the gingerbread? The android system on the Ibasso was horrible, slow and not functional because it takes a lot longer to change songs.

Figgie,

my Ibasso came with the battery fully charged. I used it for about 30 min with my iem's and then I tried with my Grado HF-2. The battery lasted for about 1 hour. Then I got two more charges with the same battery life and after that it wouldn't even turn on.

I didn't experienced the player not stoping... I hated the thump that it would give me when I turned the screen on.

I don't know the firmware, the player was shipped to me on august 14...

I wanted a single unit portable gear but the Ibasso is really far from it. Now I think I'll go with a basic player (maybe like the Sony) or with a phone.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 20
Not sure of your thoughts on Cowon, though there's a new Z2 out, I also speak highly about the C2. It really is a great sounding player.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
I bought an Ibasso DX-100 last month and it came defective (the battery wouldn't hold charge). I returned and ended up loosing the shipping costs even though it wasn't my fault.

The DX-100 is nice but not that much better than my Ipod. The quality of sound is a good improvement but overall, I think it's just not worth it. It's very big and heavy, it would give me a deafening thump every time I turned it on, it's too slow and the interface is far from apple.

I'm now looking for a new portable player, any suggestion?

I've got a triple-fi and an ER4 (and I'm thinking of getting one CIEM). I listen to classic and house music.

Thanks!!

That sounds a bit fishy to me rfilho. If you had issues with the unit did you contact ibasso and let them know about it immediately? My unit came to my house with a defective screen and I made them reimburse me for the shipping costs. Something isn't adding up here. If anything contact them and make them aware of this problem. They seem to be very accommodating. Give them a chance to make it right to you.

From the audio gear you are mentioning that would be your very issue regarding sound quality. Your TF10s and ER4s would be the weak link in the chain holding back your DX100 from truly showing its full potential. Hopefully you find something that will suite you better. But I feel with those IEMs it's a waste of money to own the DX100 as you won't be getting the full potential out of it. A custom IEM would benefit much better from such a set-up. Even a decent pair of full size headphones will fair better.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 20
I don't think he was unhappy with the sound quality Lee. It's about the clunking, bad battery, overall weight, size and operation speed of the player.

Well, that's the drift I got. :smile:

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
I don't think he was unhappy with the sound quality Lee. It's about the clunking, bad battery and overall weight, size, operation speed of the player.
Well, that's the drift I got.
smile.gif

Well from reading his comments he says the ipod is close to the DX100 in sound quality. That is comical to say the least. The reason at least IMO that he feels this way is because the IEMs he is using are the limiting factor. Figuratively speaking, you can polish a piece of crap but in the end you are still just gonna have a shiny piece of $h*%. :wink:. Best to put horse before the cart and upgrade your IEMs/headphones before upgrading your sources. That way you'll reap the full benefit of the upgraded source.

I agree with him on the operation of the player though. Its not the best out there or on par with apple. I also make sure to power on the unit before plugging in my IEMs and unplugging them before powering off as I don't like that pop either and feel it could be damaging to the drivers. Although this is a common problem with audiophile players in general (Hifiman, T51/Sflo2/ibasso etc). The DX100 has its quirks but so far it's the closest thing I've come to in terms of a UI to an ipod but with much better sound quality. For me the quirks are minor and once the player is running (takes less than a minute to load) it's super smooth via my playlists. Regarding the battery issue, that sounds like a defect and I am having a hard time believing that ibasso would not accommodate for paying for his return shipping costs. He did say the unit came to him with a defective battery, that means DOA. I had to pay the cost upfront but ibasso refunded my account for that difference. I had to communicate with them on this though, they are not psychics.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 20
[/quote]
Well from reading his comments he says the ipod is close to the DX100 in sound quality.

No, he says overall it's not much better than ipod. He does mention the sound quality is an improvement.

The DX-100 is nice but not that much better than my Ipod. The quality of sound is a good improvement but overall, I think it's just not worth it.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
Not sure of your thoughts on Cowon, though there's a new Z2

I can vouch for the Z2. Sound quality is much better than the ipod touch 4g. Yes I have both...

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 20
It's just like H20Fidelity said, I think the sound quality of the DX-100 is much better but overall I don't think it's better than a decent player. Of course that none of the decent players will be able to drive my HF-2 but I never take it out.

About the issue with Ibasso, I contacted them saying that the DX-100 wasn't working and they told me to ship it back but when they received it they said that it was working normally. I sent another email and they didn't even answer.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 20
Hmm well sorry to hear about your issues. Not sure if it would be a good idea to contact them again. I never had any issues with them regarding this so I'm a bit baffled. I agree with you though on the unit not being worth it though if you don't upgrade your IEMs. Otherwise it would be a waste of the DX100 potential and a waste of your money due to this.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 20
Just posted a topic asking for suggestions on a new CIEM for classical music. (probably the Heir 8a)

And about the player, I'm now considering wait for the Hifiman HM-901.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #15 of 20
I just got my Ibasso and have some questions. It does not have an owners manual or directions. How do you know what software is on the unit and how do you download new software. I don't see an equalizer on the unit. There should be a site on line to tell you this information and all the workings of the unit. I downloaded the free sample from HD tracks and it does sound good. I would like a little more fullness in the mids. Is there a break in period and what can I expect. I have the HE-500 headphones and the Westone 5's. The 500's sound great the Westone's are not as good. I did not know how colored these are. Does anyone know what in ear headphones sound close to the 500's. Thanks for your time. Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back