An alternative to overpriced ancient PCDP's
May 26, 2006 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

srapps55

100+ Head-Fier
Was playing around with some of my old electronics last night and pulled out my old Sharp portable DVD player and tried my K26p's and KSC75's on it. I had mentioned before that the K26p's picked up a lot of noise plugged into computers and my PCDP, but when I plugged it into the Sharp DVD I was amazed - it was dead silent. Absolutely no noise of any kind. And it apparently has plenty of power - I turned it up to 3 on the volume knob and it was plenty loud. One other thing I played around with is the line out (which is optical, BTW). I plugged the headphones directly into the line out and same thing - dead silence. Plus, much to my surprise, it was louder than the headphone jack (probably about a 4 on the headphone jack volume).

Yes, I understand that a DVD player is not really "portable" like a PCDP, but some of those old CD players are not the greatest either. You look on Ebay and old (or not so old) DVD players are selling for less money. Plus, you could watch movies on it as well.

Has anyone looked into this?

May 26, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 7
There are plenty of alternatives to overpriced old PCDP's. It is true that there are not as much options if you don't go for the overpriced ones and your budget is very tight.

May 26, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 7
The overpriced PCDPs are the popular ones. There are others that are not so popular and also sound very good.

The key is finding one thats pleasing to your ears, but not everyone elses.

Garrett

May 27, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
The overpriced PCDPs are the popular ones. There are others that are not so popular and also sound very good.

The key is finding one thats pleasing to your ears, but not everyone elses.

Garrett

I think my collection may perhaps be evidence of that :p

May 27, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 7
I used to use an old sony dvd player (circa 1998) as my source for my headphones. Once I switched to my music hall cd-25 the difference was night and day. If your into cheap sources though, I guess dvd players are where its at for the time being.

May 27, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I think my collection may perhaps be evidence of that :p

... and then take it a step further, and mod the snot out of them.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
... and then take it a step further, and mod the snot out of them.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back