An alternative to CanAmp for ATH-AD2000?
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

egokun

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people,

I'm in need of some advice. I am currently using a Heed CanAmp as my primary amp; I originally bought it for the K701, but since then I've also gotten the Audio Technica AD2000, which I like more than the K701.

Now, the CanAmp gives me very good sound, but it has some technical issues that sometimes make me think of substituting it with another amp in the same league. Such issues are:

1) it picks up radio frequencies, especially in the evening and at night (when it gets sorta creepy).

2) it has LOTS of background noise. With the K701 this is not a problem, but with the AD2000 and my Westone UM2, you get this background hiss even with the volume knob turned to zero.

3) not much fine control. It's very difficult to get a satisfactory volume with the AD2000: it's either a little too low or too loud.

4) it gives off a terrifying POP! sound when it's turned on and off. And, inserting and removing the headphone plug each time may be the correct way to do it, as someone here once said me, but it's pretty annoying on those days when you listen to some music, pause for long enough that you don't want to leave the amp on, then get back to the music, and so on.

Now, I realize that this is due in part to the sensitivity of the AD2000. Still, I'm wondering if there's an amp in the same price/performance league that can offer comparable sound without the aforementioned problems. Note that I like the CanAmp's size a lot, because it allows me to move it around the room freely enough when I get from the desk to the bed. Also, my sources (iPod with line-out cable, CD player) really don't justify much of an upgrade in my mind; yes, I'd go for a Corda Opera and call it a day if I had the cash, but I can't afford it, and it wouldn't be as mobile. I've read around here that the Arietta isn't as lively as the CanAmp, so I've decided to ask.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by egokun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello people,

I'm in need of some advice. I am currently using a Heed CanAmp as my primary amp; I originally bought it for the K701, but since then I've also gotten the Audio Technica AD2000, which I like more than the K701.

Now, the CanAmp gives me very good sound, but it has some technical issues that sometimes make me think of substituting it with another amp in the same league. Such issues are:

1) it picks up radio frequencies, especially in the evening and at night (when it gets sorta creepy).

2) it has LOTS of background noise. With the K701 this is not a problem, but with the AD2000 and my Westone UM2, you get this background hiss even with the volume knob turned to zero.

3) not much fine control. It's very difficult to get a satisfactory volume with the AD2000: it's either a little too low or too loud.

4) it gives off a terrifying POP! sound when it's turned on and off. And, inserting and removing the headphone plug each time may be the correct way to do it, as someone here once said me, but it's pretty annoying on those days when you listen to some music, pause for long enough that you don't want to leave the amp on, then get back to the music, and so on.

Now, I realize that this is due in part to the sensitivity of the AD2000. Still, I'm wondering if there's an amp in the same price/performance league that can offer comparable sound without the aforementioned problems. Note that I like the CanAmp's size a lot, because it allows me to move it around the room freely enough when I get from the desk to the bed. Also, my sources (iPod with line-out cable, CD player) really don't justify much of an upgrade in my mind; yes, I'd go for a Corda Opera and call it a day if I had the cash, but I can't afford it, and it wouldn't be as mobile. I've read around here that the Arietta isn't as lively as the CanAmp, so I've decided to ask.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You might consider the MF X-CANv8 tube hybrid amp. It's superb with low impedance phones - like Denons and Grados, and the ATHs. It's a good value, with some great sound with those phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back