An AD700 upgrade, while keeping the casual concept
Aug 26, 2009 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

partysnatcher

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I know this is a really hard question to answer, and I'm just putting out a feeler for now, but I really like the casual sound concept the AD700s offer as an alternative to my more "heavy" quality cans that I use at home.

I think the casualness is perfect for my work situation, where I don't want to get completely "lost" in music, but still have something better than the brown sounding Portapros I have worn for years.

The problem however is the AD700s look really silly.. I feel dumb wearing them at work, and yes, I am over 30 years of age. The cans are huge, so when I lean back in my chair, the cans get pushed forward by the head rest. The size also makes them warm in the long run, so maybe I am looking for something without the circumauralness.

Is there a set of phones (perhaps with a bit higher sound quality), that would fit me better as travel / work phones, possibly with a similar feeling of comfort and casual / airyness?
Should I consider IEM? Or will that be more "intense"?

My source will be a neutral quality DAC, and I have the choice between a warm and a more analytic amp.

Thanks for any replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply!

I think I need to elaborate just a bit. I am a programmer, and I like to use headphones to isolate the outside world while still not just sitting in silence for 8 hours a day.

I find that the AD700s offer a level of casualness where:

- I don't find myself actively listening in "awe" (which is tiring + bad for my work)
- There's no part of the sound that is "pushing" itself into my consciousness, in stead I find myself drifting between enjoying the music 20% and working 80% - perfect.
- At low levels of volume, they still sound good and keep their dynamics.
- They don't have that isolation "headroom" effect where you feel like you've locked yourself in a room to listen to music. I am still a part of the workplace.

Does that make sense? And will IEMs fulfill these requirements do you think, or will it be more of the "closed room"-effect?
Are ESW9 open phones?

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 10
OK, I'll look into these suggestions, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me say I have no problem (and kind of want) going up a price class or two, and adding some more details, as long as the cans don't add any more attention grabbing "in your face"-factor.

I know what I'm asking for qualifies as an "expensive+boring set of cans", but that would actually work pretty well for my work use.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 10
If you're looking for some relatively smooth, non distracting headphones, the HD580 could work for $1XX. They do need to be amped, but they're definitely beyond the AD700's in SQ. You could also take a look at the HD600's if you wanted to pay a bit more though if you go to the HD650's (probably too pricey anyway) the bass might be too engaging.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for some relatively smooth, non distracting headphones, the HD580 could work for $1XX. They do need to be amped, but they're definitely beyond the AD700's in SQ. You could also take a look at the HD600's if you wanted to pay a bit more though if you go to the HD650's (probably too pricey anyway) the bass might be too engaging.

I don't think I agree on the hd580's being "definitely beyond" the ad700s. Yes they have more bass presence, but the ad700s are fantastic phones that have a damn good soundstage. IMO it trounces the hd580 soundstage.

To me the hd580 is only an upgrade from the ad700 if the rest of your chain is good. Otherwise I think it's more of a very small increment/sidestep since they do have very different sound sigs.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah I have a good chain at work, but something accepting weak amp is of course good stuff since I dont need that boomy low imp bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have to surpass the AD700s in quality, but something more subtle or stylish that I can also wear in the tropic parts of the world without overheating my brain, would be great.

The Senns look interesting. I would have loved something almost Portapro size, but they will definitely do.
What I'm asking for does sound a lot like IEMs I guess. But then I lose the open, delicious soundstage of the AD700s. Are the AD700s really that unique when it comes to this?

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 10
You might want to try an AKG K500/501. Used to have the 501 and it had really good soundstage and amazing mids/vocals. Since you said bass doesn't really matter, they'd suit you fine. However style wise, I think you either hate or love the akg look. I personally think they look awesome but some may find them to seem like crazy space disks on your ears.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 10
HD 238 might work, or as has been mentioned the ESW9 will be a step upwards in quality over the AD700 and they look sharp. Isolation wise the will be more isolating than the AD700 but not as much as most IEM's. I am using the ES7 and they are OK but if I had the money I would own a pair of ESW9. BTW I am not a programmer but am in IT and use my ES7 at work all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back