An active noise cancelling earphone or headphone?
Jul 14, 2016 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

John black

New Head-Fier
Hello, I want an active noise cancelling earphone or headphone which is not so expensive. And I want some good recommendations if you know any suitable earphones or headphones.

Generally, I use my earphone on the train or aeroplane. However, as you know, there is always some troublesome noise that overwhelms me and I can't get a good rest at all. That's why I want to look for an active or high-tech earphone or headphone.

Besides, it is not convenient for me to recharge the earphone, so the earphone that is charge-free would be better~~

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS   THANKS!
regular_smile .gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John black /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I want an active noise cancelling earphone or headphone which is not so expensive. And I want some good recommendations if you know any suitable earphones or headphones.

Generally, I use my earphone on the train or aeroplane. However, as you know, there is always some troublesome noise that overwhelms me and I can't get a good rest at all. That's why I want to look for an active or high-tech earphone or headphone.

Besides, it is not convenient for me to recharge the earphone, so the earphone that is charge-free would be better~~

The only way for an active noise canceller circuit to be "charge-free" is if it's hooked up to the smartphone via USB/Lightning, in which case the active circuit that is actively reshaping the sound to cancel out ambient sound will get its power from the phone.

There's another way to do this, and with a passive headphone or earphone (preferably an IEM). Check if your phone has a universal soundshaping DSP feature built into its OS, and then run the program as necessary (ie on Samsungs it's "Adapt Sound," and you need to hook up via the 3.5mm analogue output). It's not as accurate considering the phone which will use its mic to know what noise it needs to cancel will not be near your ears, but some other ANC earphones might have a similar issue anyway, not to mention you might already have this. You can then get a good IEM with passive noise cancellation - ie it will just seal your ear canal as best it can, so in some cases you have to try many eartips, and not just the ones it came with - and then run the set-up procedure.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Ehh~ Could you plz offer me several models of earphones? I am thinking of buying a new one but I am amateur and have no idea.
ps: no Bose cause I think it's a little expensive for me~

Thank you again~~

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Bose is a good choice for active noise-cancelling headphone. Since it is too expensive for you, the passive earphones are also options. I don't think those whose prices are low can perform well on cancelling noise actively.
I am now enjoying Shure SE215 special edition (love bass), and because of its insulation design, it performs well on noise cancellation, at least for me when traveling by train. It is much affordable($150 on Amazon) than Bose QC20($299), so you can have a try :)
Of course the best way to know if the earphone/headphone is suitable is to try it yourself! By the way, are you urgent on buying a new headphone? If not, you can go to some crowdfunding website to have a look.
Hope you can find your satisfactory earphone soon :)

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 7
  Ehh~ Could you plz offer me several models of earphones? I am thinking of buying a new one but I am amateur and have no idea.
ps: no Bose cause I think it's a little expensive for me~

Aurisonics ASG-1.5, ASG-2.5; Fender has since absorbed them and now they have the FXAx and DXA1 earphones.

There's also the Shure SE535, Westone W40, Earsonics SM3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back