amy winehouse anybody?
Mar 15, 2007 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jrussell6

100+ Head-Fier
hey, i've lately been entranced by her latest cd, but frank isn't so bad either, anyway, just amazing voice and context. sultry and sad but powerfull

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm not familiar with her whole oeuvre, but her song "Rehab" has me pretty much gob-smacked. It's a perfect update of that great old 60s soul sound. I'm a 60's soul nut and purist, yet as young as she is, she seems to be steeped in that sound, and has a tad more scruffy, working-class soul than say another more polished/attractive British contender, Joss Stone.

The key is to not let too much modern hip-hop wreck it, we'll see how she does. Based on that one song, I'll be wathcing her. She seems to be a personal train-wreck, which can lead to great music as well as doom. We'll see.

P.S. While I'm glad she's breathing new life into that old 60's sound, too bad about the awful make-up and horrible hair-do she's also trying to revive! Ouch!

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 17
ha, ironic...i just dl'd her today, good shyt
cool.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 17
Big fan here, too!

Just a shame that the new album clips as much as it grooves. This is one HOT album. Bit of a tick off that they removed a track for the Canadian release... it's a bloody half hour album!

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big fan here, too!

Just a shame that the new album clips as much as it grooves. This is one HOT album. Bit of a tick off that they removed a track for the Canadian release... it's a bloody half hour album!

so you noticed that too, in fact i find that it was really badly mastered, when her voice kicks in the noise floor goes way up, then it fades out as soon as her voice cuts.

but yeah, to see her live would be amazing, and even though she's a mess, i'ld marry her.....

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 17
Yeah, this girl can realy sing my socks off!!!
I love her new school - old school style, she's realy off the hook, she is my latest found treasure.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Somebody was mentioning earlier that a few of the studio musicians are actualy part of a band... Sadly, I don't remember their name and I believe the liner notes only credit the musicians as individuals. The band itself came highly recommended by the Head-Fier... hope he pops in to recommend again!

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 17
however i find her little boring. im liking the throwback 60s sound and i like both albums, but how the artist performs live really makes or break an artist for me. seeing her tv performances really kills it for me.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 17
in a slightly different direction but very 60s girl group sound check out the pipettes. their latest record is a fun listen.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 17
I heard "Rehab" today, and I have to say I was thoroughy impressed. I will have to check out her cd, and see if it's as good as the single.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 17
Both of her albums are classy pieces of work, really properly gritty and soulful. Splendid. It's just a shame she's such a waster crack-addict-look-alike mess. I LOVE her music, I like her a lot less.

Mar 23, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 17
Need to listen to her after I finish Joss Stone's new album. Pretty good but a tad over produced. but I won't complain too much since it's been a while since I listened to funk soul music.

Mar 28, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, i've lately been entranced by her latest cd, but frank isn't so bad either, anyway, just amazing voice and context. sultry and sad but powerfull

I just got her latest (Back to Black) and love it, but can't find Frank for less than $25 - Do you own Frank and if so, any ideas where I can get a copy for less than $25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back