Amy MacDonald - Life in a Beautiful Light | Sound Problems
Nov 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sleinzel

100+ Head-Fier

I just started listening to Amy MacDonalds Album called Life in a Beautiful Light and I think there are some problems regarding the mastering. I'm no audio expert, but I think if she starts singing really loud, her voice starts scratching. I took a look at some songs in Audacity and in my eyes it seems like there are some cut off loud parts.

Anyone else having the same problem, or did something go wrong with my CD rip?

Song tested:

The furthes Star (Acoustic)

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

I just started listening to Amy MacDonalds Album called Life in a Beautiful Light and I think there are some problems regarding the mastering. I'm no audio expert, but I think if she starts singing really loud, her voice starts scratching. I took a look at some songs in Audacity and in my eyes it seems like there are some cut off loud parts.

Anyone else having the same problem, or did something go wrong with my CD rip?

Song tested:

The furthes Star (Acoustic)

Can't you try listening to the actual CD then? See if it still occurs?

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 6
I can confirm, on Spotify, her voice scratches too.

I'm finding this more and more.

Since its Acoustic, maybe its the mics fault, but are any other tracks like that?

I can confirm on the actual non-acoustic track, on places, her voice clips too.

Either Spotify really doesn't take care, or mastering is getting worse, or I'm noticing it more

EDIT:

Recorded on Audacity a sample, and yes, it clips

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I can confirm, on Spotify, her voice scratches too.

I'm finding this more and more.

Since its Acoustic, maybe its the mics fault, but are any other tracks like that?

I can confirm on the actual non-acoustic track, on places, her voice clips too.

Either Spotify really doesn't take care, or mastering is getting worse, or I'm noticing it more

EDIT:

Recorded on Audacity a sample, and yes, it clips

If you look at the waveform of most of the album  (FLAC copy) it looks like it's compressed to ****, but Foobar's DR meter gives it a 10 which isn't bad for a modern recording (damn it!) but yes, I can confirm that there is defintely some clipping there. Sounds like her vocal was recorded pretty sloppily on some of it.

Bloody music industry gits
confused_face.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Ok... So my hunch proved to be true... Thank you guys.

I can confirm that not only the acoustic songs have this problem, but also the normal songs, but there it isn't that extrem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back