ampsandsound kenzie vs Dragon Inspire IHA-1
Feb 9, 2017 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mobiustereo

100+ Head-Fier
Probably a long shot that anyone has listened to both?, but am really torn between these two amps. Both seem to have that purist tube design that I'm after, and are similarly priced. Anyone? Bueller?.... Bueller?... Bueller? Thanks to any and all who might contribute and offer some direction.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Wish I had an answer for your very specific question. I should be receiving a Kenzie to evaluate in about 2 weeks.

I have a nice turntable and tube preamp that I want to pair the Kenzie with.

What characteristics are you looking for in a tube amp?

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey there T-Bone! Yeah, am looking for the 'usual suspects' in tube reproduction - overall ease of presentation, liquidity, palpable 'you are there' sound stage, etc.  These are all things that I remember back when I use to have a sizeable big-rig with Martin Logan Summits, coupled with a pair of Antique Sound Labs 'Hurricane' mono-blocks, run in 'triode' mode. The spooky in-the-room realism (which of course I know is harder to obtain with headphones) is what I fondly remember the most about great tube gear. BTW - I should have mentioned in my initial post? I'm currently using Focal Utopia cans.

I have the most excellent Audio GD Master 9, which really has a very tube-like reproduction, so maybe am just chasing my audio tail here?, but am always drawn back to and towards tubes... The Master 9 was a match made in heaven with my former HE1000's, but the higher sensitivity and 'livelier' presentation of the Utopia's has me exploring the tube amp route.

Yes, please let me know your overall impressions of the Kenzie. Specifically, how you think it compares to other similar designs & competition.

thanks, dennis

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 4
Hey there T-Bone! Yeah, am looking for the 'usual suspects' in tube reproduction - overall ease of presentation, liquidity, palpable 'you are there' sound stage, etc.  These are all things that I remember back when I use to have a sizeable big-rig with Martin Logan Summits, coupled with a pair of Antique Sound Labs 'Hurricane' mono-blocks, run in 'triode' mode. The spooky in-the-room realism (which of course I know is harder to obtain with headphones) is what I fondly remember the most about great tube gear. BTW - I should have mentioned in my initial post? I'm currently using Focal Utopia cans.

I have the most excellent Audio GD Master 9, which really has a very tube-like reproduction, so maybe am just chasing my audio tail here?, but am always drawn back to and towards tubes... The Master 9 was a match made in heaven with my former HE1000's, but the higher sensitivity and 'livelier' presentation of the Utopia's has me exploring the tube amp route.

Yes, please let me know your overall impressions of the Kenzie. Specifically, how you think it compares to other similar designs & competition.

thanks, dennis

Perhaps you want to check @TonyNewman's post regarding Master 9 with Freya preamp and the Utopia. He seems to like this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back