Ampsandsound Kenzie/Mogwai Impressions
Jun 19, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #331 of 347
i'm really excited to try the new MM-100, can't beat the price. i also thought about the 1000k but hifiman qc just bothers me. i just deleted my raging paragraph as to why and will just say they're just not for me anymore :)

you know what the surprise of year has been for me? the lowly Sennheiser HD569. I got them at black friday last year and have been constantly impressed with them. they're not great from a technical perspective. but man are they overall just fun and agreeable to listen to. light on the head and easy to power. they like tubes, and just about anything you plug them into. color me impressed!
I'm definitely going to be looking for a lightly used MM-100 once the hype dies down a bit and they start hitting the classifieds. I haven't heard the HD569 but I have the HD560S and they are just fantastic. I use them for just about everything else other than critical listening but I agree on the form factor. Great for movies as they just disappear on my head for a few hours and soundstage better than my other Senns except for the HD800S.

I know I'm just going to have to suck it up in the near future and buy a Susvara at some point but it won't be this year. Thanks for the feedback!

Aug 25, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #332 of 347
I’m going to be listing my Mogwai SE for sale shortly if any one is interested.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #336 of 347
In my stash of tubes I have a Sophia Electric 274b and was wondering if that can be run in the Mogwai SE v2 rectifier slot? I am not a tube expert so want to confirm if there is anything else I may not be aware of. Seems like others have done this in other tube amps, is the Mogwai any different?

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #337 of 347
Has anyone compared the Kenzie Ovation to amps like the LTA MZ3, DNA Stratus/Stellaris, or Woo WA5-LE?

I'm considering an Ovation for my Focal Utopia, but there are just very few reviews of it that it's difficult to make a choice.

My other main option is the MZ3.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #338 of 347
I’ve managed to get my hands on a Kenzie OG Rev 1 and as expected there’s a bit of noise. It’s a bit different than the boise I experienced from my WA 6 SE, which was picking up the coil whine from my pc.

It’s more of like a hum, very similar to trying to tune a radio to the right frequency. It doesn’t seem to be a tube issue as I’ve swapped the driver tubes and the issue persists, although the Raytheon 2C52 I rolled in seemed more resilient.

I have a feeling it’s probably some form of RFI, as it’s right next to my PC and I have a mesh router and my phone on me as well. To be honest when it’s not too loud I don’t mind it, and in some cases it adds to the ambiance of some albums like Eden’s ICYMI. But any other tips would be appreciated!

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #339 of 347
I’ve managed to get my hands on a Kenzie OG Rev 1 and as expected there’s a bit of noise. It’s a bit different than the boise I experienced from my WA 6 SE, which was picking up the coil whine from my pc.

It’s more of like a hum, very similar to trying to tune a radio to the right frequency. It doesn’t seem to be a tube issue as I’ve swapped the driver tubes and the issue persists, although the Raytheon 2C52 I rolled in seemed more resilient.

I have a feeling it’s probably some form of RFI, as it’s right next to my PC and I have a mesh router and my phone on me as well. To be honest when it’s not too loud I don’t mind it, and in some cases it adds to the ambiance of some albums like Eden’s ICYMI. But any other tips would be appreciated!
I've owned quite a few ampsandsound amps and rfi unfortunately is the issue i've always faced. phones for me were the biggest offender. i had to keep my cell at least 6 feet away from them, if not more. and in general the farther you place it from other electronics, the better. one way i tested mine out was just plug in your tubes and headphone and power, and listen without a source plugged in. the rfi will manifest regardless of a source connected or not. so you can move the amp from power plug to power plug to find the area in your house that's the least noisy rfi-wise. hopefully you have enough space to spread out a bit with it.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #340 of 347
I've owned quite a few ampsandsound amps and rfi unfortunately is the issue i've always faced. phones for me were the biggest offender. i had to keep my cell at least 6 feet away from them, if not more. and in general the farther you place it from other electronics, the better. one way i tested mine out was just plug in your tubes and headphone and power, and listen without a source plugged in. the rfi will manifest regardless of a source connected or not. so you can move the amp from power plug to power plug to find the area in your house that's the least noisy rfi-wise. hopefully you have enough space to spread out a bit with it.
I’m definitely constrained a bit by space, and possibly cable lengths as well if I end up finding a quiet spot. Most likely I’ll end up just having to live with a bit of noise as I had bought this amp to be my main desktop headphone setup since it’s such an agreeable size.

Part of me wants to try rolling a G73-R in to see if that black RFI coating actually works.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #341 of 347
I’m definitely constrained a bit by space, and possibly cable lengths as well if I end up finding a quiet spot. Most likely I’ll end up just having to live with a bit of noise as I had bought this amp to be my main desktop headphone setup since it’s such an agreeable size.

Part of me wants to try rolling a G73-R in to see if that black RFI coating actually works.
that might be a good solution, I thought of getting those myself. despite the noise they are great sounding amps, and are selling at ridiculously low prices used.

Nov 9, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #342 of 347
Moved my mesh router away, everything's nice and quiet now.

I think I still need some time to formulate a full review, but so far I'm loving it. I didn't know the bass on my LCD-2's could slam.

Can't wait to see how it will sound once I get my hands on a ZMF Atticus.

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #343 of 347
C60B928E-309B-453C-A0DA-B8B2404FF951.jpeg

So I’ve managed to find a coin base 12SL7GT tube for a Rev 1 Kenzie OG, and I’ve been hard pressed to find much information about it.

As for sound, I’m still letting it burn in. I don’t prefer it over the Raytheon 2C52, as it’s not quite as controlled in the lower frequencies. But I just love how it looks.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #344 of 347
I auditioned the Kenzie and Mogwai side by side the other night with a Yggdrasil. I mostly used a pair of HD800S but I also used LCD-X and LCD-5. All sounded wonderful. The differences are pretty stark between amps though. The Kenzie is by no means a bad amp. It's quite amazing for what it is and at its price point. That being said, stepping up just a bit over $1000 gets you an amp that is just ever so much more lush, warm, and full bodied. The Mogwai ended up being the clear choice for me. I also had the chance to demo a Nautilus too and I deeply regret it because it's so far out of my budget for this purchase and the sound is something else, just so spectacular. As Justin put it "it will head f*ck you" and that it did. Now that some time has passed, I still adore the Mogwai and don't regret the purchase at all. In fact I love it so much I'm going to be selling my GSX Mini and sticking with the Mogwai for my big cans full time.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #345 of 347
I auditioned the Kenzie and Mogwai side by side the other night with a Yggdrasil. I mostly used a pair of HD800S but I also used LCD-X and LCD-5. All sounded wonderful. The differences are pretty stark between amps though. The Kenzie is by no means a bad amp. It's quite amazing for what it is and at its price point. That being said, stepping up just a bit over $1000 gets you an amp that is just ever so much more lush, warm, and full bodied. The Mogwai ended up being the clear choice for me. I also had the chance to demo a Nautilus too and I deeply regret it because it's so far out of my budget for this purchase and the sound is something else, just so spectacular. As Justin put it "it will head f*ck you" and that it did. Now that some time has passed, I still adore the Mogwai and don't regret the purchase at all. In fact I love it so much I'm going to be selling my GSX Mini and sticking with the Mogwai for my big cans full time.

Have you compared the mogwai or nautilus to any other tube head amps ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back