ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Oct 10, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,172 of 1,255
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #1,173 of 1,255
I just replaced my kr audio kt88s with a fresh pair and I’m falling in love with this amp all over again! Noise floor went back down to 0.

Earlier posts here have me wondering about a pre amp… would it be worth it to try to add a feliks elise to the chain?

I love how it seems everyone has their own favorite complements of tubes in these amps - really shows their versatility
IMG_0256.jpeg

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #1,174 of 1,255
I just replaced my kr audio kt88s with a fresh pair and I’m falling in love with this amp all over again! Noise floor went back down to 0.

Earlier posts here have me wondering about a pre amp… would it be worth it to try to add a feliks elise to the chain?

I love how it seems everyone has their own favorite complements of tubes in these amps - really shows their versatility
IMG_0256.jpeg

An Elise would certainly add its own colors to the sound and would easily make or break the tonality. I only recommend a transparent preamp such as the booster box from Justin if you intend to keep the same tonality and just enhance the dynamics, soundstage and imaging even more.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,176 of 1,255
Honestly haven't tried any other preamps so can't compare qualities, but I added a Pass HPA-1 to my chain for two reasons -- to have as a SS alternative to my Pendant SE and to use as a preamp with my SE, and it works fabulously for both. Based on reviews, the HPA-1 preamp section is very good which definitely played into my purchase decision. I concur you'd probably want as transparent and honest a preamp as you can get. I'm sure Justin's would work well.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #1,177 of 1,255
Thanks for the input! I was kind of thinking the same, but alas, the Elise is what I have on hand. I've looked at the booster box and might have to add it to the christmas list!

You can certainly try and see if it works well for you. I have compared the booster box against no booster box thanks to Justin during CanJam SoCal and I certainly didn't detect any changes in tonality. However, the dynamics, instrument presence and focus as well as soundstage improved quite dramatically to boot

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,178 of 1,255
I’ve used a Violectric V550 Pro (with my Pendant SE) and now I’m running a GS-X MK2 (with my Agartha 2021). Both were phenomenal preamps into an ampsandsound amp.

I’d steer clear of adding a tube preamp and go instead for a neutral or just slightly warm of neutral SS amp. I went with the GS-X MK2 both for its dynamics and low noise floor, it’s a perfect compliment to the Agartha and doesn’t color the sound in any way. Plus it’s great to have a reference SS on hand

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,179 of 1,255
Plus it’s great to have a reference SS on hand
Agreed.
Definitely nice having a good SS amp on hand to enjoy and/or compare with, or to just use when you don't feel like burning tubes!

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #1,180 of 1,255
And now for something completely different

IMG_4190.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

Nov 19, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #1,182 of 1,255
Originally posted this on the Atrium thread but thought I’d share here as well.

Let me caveat this this by saying my Kenzie OG 2 is the only tube amp I ever heard. Nevertheless, it never ceases to amaze me paired with the OG Auteur. Sublime is a most apt word to describe it. It’s the most revelatory purchase I’ve made in this hobby. Watched Resolve’s review of the OG Kenzie again last night and he nailed the sound characteristics of the amp perfectly. Would love to hear some of Justin’s higher end amps. Atrium or Caldera is what I’m hoping to purchase next for a headphone. We’ll see if I can hold out till CJ NYC so I can demo them but I know myself well enough to say that I may end up making the purchase during ZMF’s November sale. :)

i just purchased the OG 2 yesterday and I'll be receiving the amp in about four weeks or so. Reviews like the above are killlinngggg meeeeeeeeeeeee with anticipation.

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,183 of 1,255
i just purchased the OG 2 yesterday and I'll be receiving the amp in about four weeks or so. Reviews like the above are killlinngggg meeeeeeeeeeeee with anticipation.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club! Still love my Kenzie 2 and Mojo 2 as the Dac feeding it. While I realize there are higher end amps and Dacs, the signature of the two mesh so well together. Elevates everything I listen to on that chain whether it’s Atrium or even an IEM like Spartacus. I’m so happy I explored this facet of the hobby. Music is such an integral part of my life and Kenzie elegantly enhances the listening experience every time. Hoping you‘ll love Kenzie 2 as much as I do. :)

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #1,184 of 1,255
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club! Still love my Kenzie 2 and Mojo 2 as the Dac feeding it. While I realize there are higher end amps and Dacs, the signature of the two mesh so well together. Elevates everything I listen to on that chain whether it’s Atrium or even an IEM like Spartacus. I’m so happy I explored this facet of the hobby. Music is such an integral part of my life and Kenzie elegantly enhances the listening experience every time. Hoping you‘ll love Kenzie 2 as much as I do. :)

I am hoping so as well. I've heard nothing but positive things about the Kenzie (the Encore version), even at super best audio friends, and they are a picky bunch. They certainly prefer it over top tier amps like the Euforia, so that's really saying something. People mention it in the same breath as the Eddie Current Aficionado which is legendary. I have the OG Auteur as well, I actually repurchased it after I didn't like the Atrium that much. The OG just has this tone that's perfect, especially for female vocals. My DAC is the Gustard R26 and that is pretty darn neutral so I'm hoping it pairs well with the Kenzie!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,185 of 1,255
I am hoping so as well. I've heard nothing but positive things about the Kenzie (the Encore version), even at super best audio friends, and they are a picky bunch. They certainly prefer it over top tier amps like the Euforia, so that's really saying something. People mention it in the same breath as the Eddie Current Aficionado which is legendary. I have the OG Auteur as well, I actually repurchased it after I didn't like the Atrium that much. The OG just has this tone that's perfect, especially for female vocals. My DAC is the Gustard R26 and that is pretty darn neutral so I'm hoping it pairs well with the Kenzie!

EC's sound different than A&S and DNA. If I were to put it to a spectrum, DNA would be on the laid-back, refined and grandiose presentation style with a good dose of wetness and mostly neutral tonality, A&S (at least the Mogwai/BB/Nautilus family) is more energetic, upfront, macro focused with creamy (that's different than DNA) mids with warmer leaning signature while ECs are very linear, little wetness in the signature, more neutral and very microdetail focused (texture). People at SBAF love all kind of sound signature based on my short experience with them and have strong preference as to what sound they like just like HF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back