ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Dec 11, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #961 of 1,255
We have one in the books but not convinced it's a wise choice.
Ultimately we can modify an Agartha/Rockwell to run 2A3s. Largely possible for a red October to have done as well.
It's not a tube that there's been a ground swell toward when the 300b is an available option.
Id suggest that a 6B4G is a more interesting tube... its exactly the same as a 6A3 but with a 8pin pin out... It's easy to get 6G4Gs that are 60 years old on the cheap.
Id also suggest that a 1626 is very similar sonically to a 45.

What do you like about the 2A3.

From what I can tell, plus what others have said 2A3's tend to be more detailed and precise with less midrange bloom than 300B's have. As for bass, they're probably evenly matched, but I think the 2A3 is less laid back.

It'd be awesome to have a Red October v2 that could run both 300B's and 2A3's if that's somehow possible. Maybe even 45/1626's :)

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #962 of 1,255
From what I can tell, plus what others have said 2A3's tend to be more detailed and precise with less midrange bloom than 300B's have. As for bass, they're probably evenly matched, but I think the 2A3 is less laid back.

It'd be awesome to have a Red October v2 that could run both 300B's and 2A3's if that's somehow possible. Maybe even 45/1626's :)
There's also the prospect of the Red October/Agartha with Elrog ER300B or ER300B-Mo. The Elrog tubes have a much more modern sound that I would put closer to 2A3, but probably even more analytical to different degrees. Check out this 300B thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hea...l-300b-tube-amps.962932/page-67#post-17082170

This link is the page where they were first mentioned. They have since become a big part of the discussion there. At this point, it's the general consensus that they are the most modern/best sounding 300B's currently available NOS or new/recent production. There is a LOT of information about pretty much all available 300b's as there are a few guys that have collectively owned or own them all and all have been discussed to some degree.

EDIT: The link is not where they were first mentioned, but kind of early on when they were starting to discuss them. I guess the search feature run-a-mock. Anyway, the entire thread is dedicated to finding the right 300b amp and the correct tubes to get the sound you want so definitely worth the read for anyone considering big DHT's of any kind.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #963 of 1,255
There's also the prospect of the Red October/Agartha with Elrog ER300B or ER300B-Mo. The Elrog tubes have a much more modern sound that I would put closer to 2A3, but probably even more analytical to different degrees. Check out this 300B thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hea...l-300b-tube-amps.962932/page-67#post-17082170

This link is the page where they were first mentioned. They have since become a big part of the discussion there. At this point, it's the general consensus that they are the most modern/best sounding 300B's currently available NOS or new/recent production. There is a LOT of information about pretty much all available 300b's as there are a few guys that have collectively owned or own them all and all have been discussed to some degree.
I alternate with the elrog 300b's in my red October and can confirm they are definitely more analytical then typical 300b tubes and slam harder/ have more impressive imaging etc

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #965 of 1,255
I brought this up in the 6sn7 thread but it may be more applicable here, since many of the a&s amps can run different 6s*7 variants.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare tubes across variants? For example, an rca grey glass 6sn7 vs an rca grey glass 6sl7? Are both tubes on the 'lush' side? Gain will be different, of course, but I am curious if there are sonic similarities. I'm not asking about that tube in particular, although that is one that came to mind, but more curious if there are any sonic "house sounds" across tube types.

The thought in the 6sn7 thread was that the tube circuits would have no similarities, but no one had actually tested this. Any thoughts?

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #967 of 1,255
Hi gang, hope the holidays are going well.

My Mogwai SE is currently doing primary duty as a speaker amp with a pair of Klipsch La Scalas (105 dB sensitivity). I think it's a terrific pairing, and so far my favored tubes are EL34, 6SL7 and a GZ34 rectifier. I also really like the T-S 6L6GC STR's, but the EL34 gives me a little more energy in the treble, which I prefer.

I haven't tried KT88's yet, and I'm very curious how they would be different than the EL34's. If any of you have any experience with these, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm also kind of interested in the Agartha Rev 2, as I've never had a 300b amp and I'm feeling the urge to spring for one. Any thoughts on how the Agartha 2 would compare to a Mogwai SE with either EL34 or KT88 tubes powering the Klipsches?

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #968 of 1,255

My Mogwai SE is currently doing primary duty as a speaker amp with a pair of Klipsch La Scalas (105 dB sensitivity). I think it's a terrific pairing, and so far my favored tubes are EL34, 6SL7 and a GZ34 rectifier. I also really like the T-S 6L6GC STR's, but the EL34 gives me a little more energy in the treble, which I prefer.

I haven't tried KT88's yet, and I'm very curious how they would be different than the EL34's. If any of you have any experience with these, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I'm also kind of interested in the Agartha Rev 2, as I've never had a 300b amp and I'm feeling the urge to spring for one. Any thoughts on how the Agartha 2 would compare to a Mogwai SE with either EL34 or KT88 tubes powering the Klipsches?
I have a Gen 1 Mogwai and to my ears EL34/6CA7s pair the best with it as far as power tubes. My favorites of those with the Mogwai so far have been vintage Mullard XF2 EL34s, Tesla EL 34s, and GE Fat boy 6CA7s.

My favorite input tubes paired with the above mentioned power tubes are either a mid 40s RCA smoked glass 6SL7, mid 40s Tung Sol grey glass 6SU7GTY, or a Sophia Electric 6SL7.

Generally speaking KT88s are more linear sounding then EL34s with more extended highs and lows. They are usually not as pronounced in the mids as a typical EL34. Again this is generally speaking as there are some KT88s with very nice mids. The Gold Lion KT88 has pretty nice mids and the Shuguang Black Glass Treasure KT88s have nice mids also. Neither has as pronounced mids as a typical EL34 however.

There are some KT88 equivalents that have the extended lows and highs of a typical KT88 with the lush mids typical of an EL34. The vintage US made Tung Sol 6550 (Coke bottle shape) and GE 6550 (straight glass sides) are very nice on the Mogwai. These are both excellent but again I think the Mogwai seems to pair with a good EL34 or equivalent the best.

I have also tried KT90s on the Mogwai though they tend to be even more linear than the KT88s. They were pretty pleasant sounding though not exactly my cup of tea.

Two other power tubes worth mentioning that I found to be outstanding are the vintage RCA Black Plate 6L6GT and new production Tung Sol 7581a. The new production TS really surprised me. Its definitely worth a listen.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #969 of 1,255

The Mogwai SE with KT88s is a fuller sound. The Agatha is a much more classic SET sound… more even FR across the board. If not planing to invest in WE or alike 300bs… the Rockwell is the thinking persons choice. you get all the same benefits of tone and DHT/SET but have access to in expensive NOS tubes. The Rockwell is a closet Fav of mine.

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #970 of 1,255
The Agatha is a much more classic SET sound… more even FR across the board.

I'm surprised by this statement. I thought the classic SET sound was a warm, lush midrange with rolled-off highs and flubby bass. From all I've read about the 300b, an even FR isn't one of its characteristics. But maybe I need to read more!

Anyway, thanks for your response and I think I'll stick with the Mogwai for now. The Rockwell looks interesting though.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #972 of 1,255
Once upon a time (early 2018) I bought a Mogwai SE, met Justin, and went on a fun journey, and talked about it a lot with many of you in this thread. Suolo Monos, the Bigger Ben, the Kenzie Ovation, the Nautilus, the Rockwell… and eventually (2021) I left the headphone world, trading in the headphones for speakers and built myself a dedicated two channel listening room powered by the ampsandsound Zions. I thought I was done but look what arrived yesterday:

F2FF8CCF-50D4-4868-9D4B-6C099D8072D2.jpeg

The latest revision of the Mogwai SE (the amp that started it all): Outfitted with one of my favorite tube complements for this amp: RCA Black Plate 6L6GCs, RCA Command Series 5751, and a JAN (RCA made) black plate 5U4GB. As with Justin’s other rev 2 products, the Rev 2 of the Mogwai SE is a big step forward from my OG Mogwai SE of yesteryear. Currently wired up to my Soul 6 the sonic treat that this amp produces is quite special and everything you can ask for form a well designed single ended amplifier.

The new headphones to celebrate my re-entry into the head-fi world will be the Audeze LCD-5 which will come sometime next week. Ill be back after that to post more after I have had some time with the two together, until then I will be enjoying it driving my speakers.

Jan 9, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #974 of 1,255
Once upon a time (early 2018) I bought a Mogwai SE, met Justin, and went on a fun journey, and talked about it a lot with many of you in this thread. Suolo Monos, the Bigger Ben, the Kenzie Ovation, the Nautilus, the Rockwell… and eventually (2021) I left the headphone world, trading in the headphones for speakers and built myself a dedicated two channel listening room powered by the ampsandsound Zions. I thought I was done but look what arrived yesterday:

F2FF8CCF-50D4-4868-9D4B-6C099D8072D2.jpeg

The latest revision of the Mogwai SE (the amp that started it all): Outfitted with one of my favorite tube complements for this amp: RCA Black Plate 6L6GCs, RCA Command Series 5751, and a JAN (RCA made) black plate 5U4GB. As with Justin’s other rev 2 products, the Rev 2 of the Mogwai SE is a big step forward from my OG Mogwai SE of yesteryear. Currently wired up to my Soul 6 the sonic treat that this amp produces is quite special and everything you can ask for form a well designed single ended amplifier.

The new headphones to celebrate my re-entry into the head-fi world will be the Audeze LCD-5 which will come sometime next week. Ill be back after that to post more after I have had some time with the two together, until then I will be enjoying it driving my speakers.
Thats one good looking amp! I think that's my very favorite tube pairing. You can always get more power, but this thing is about tone and body for sure.

Feb 2, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #975 of 1,255

Looks absolutely wonderful!

Does anyone have any experience with both the Mogwai and Ovation (current revisions) who could characterize the sonic differences between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back