ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Aug 22, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #556 of 1,259
Perhaps an old fashioned phone call (or VOIP) to Justin would answer this question.
He was very patient with me as I asked about the various amp options and settled on the Bigger Ben. I did not have the space for the larger Nautilus and am thrilled with the BB paired with Susvara and T+A P.

Aug 22, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #559 of 1,259
A&S amps have a
Can somebody explain what “the essence of sound, strictly old-school SET sound.” exactly means?

I’m eying Nautilus and I like a lot of things about it (tube variety, multiple jacks instead of switch or resistors, input transformers, simplicity, e t.c.), but I don’t get this “old-school” thing. I never was a fan of vintage hi-fi, which normally have great midrange, but not very deep or articulated bass. In other words, the old-school I know played the opera recordings beautifully, but could not create the full-blown illusion of a symphony orchestra, which is possible with modern high-res recordings and my solid state Headtrip.

How good Nautilus is when it comes to instrument separations, bass depth and articulation of modern recordings of complex symphonic music?

P.S. Unfortunately it’s impossible to audition ampsandsound amps in the EU :frowning2:
A&S amps have that classic sound when it comes to the mid range. You get that warmth, texture, and clarity. However that is where classic ends. The low end of the nautilus is exceptional for a single ended amplifier, and the same is true for the treble.

I think it is really important to remember that tube choice will dictate how low you go as well as how extended your treble is but you can really customize to fit your needs.

For highly sensitive headphones, the nautilus is capable of delivering incredibly low noise and black background but that is entirely dependent on the tubes you put in the amp. If they are quiet, this amp is quiet.

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #561 of 1,259
I think it is really important to remember that tube choice will dictate how low you go as well as how extended your treble is but you can really customize to fit your needs.
Thank you for clarifying. I understand about extension of both ends of frequency range, but that’s only one thing.

It’s hard for me to explain it in English, but I will try 🤣 With symphonic music (Mahler No2 for example) there are moments when whole orchestra is playing (it’s called tutti). Such moments become a real test for the amplifier. With a great amplifier these moments are played without loss of separation. You hear the whole grandiose event, but you still perfectly understand that it consists of individual instruments that are still perfectly played. In my opinion, maintaining separation in the most difficult moments of the recording is one of the things that distinguishes a good or “ok” amplifier from a great one.

I never heard really high-end tube amplifiers in my system side by side with Headtrip, but simple and not very powerful SET (not ampsandsound) absolutely was not able to do this. It produced really nice tone and image during solo passages, but tutti was a mess - amplifier was not able to maintain that holographic separated imaging during complex passages. It did not unfold the stage in proportion to its full width at such a moment, but rather shrink the orchestra to a smaller size, losing the individuality of the instruments and the space between them.

Since then I started thinking that this kind of separation and polyphony is not possible with normal tube headphone amps, only balanced (like WA33) or insanely powerful (like 845 Egoista). Am I wrong and Nautilus will have no problem maintaining imaging and separation while playing complex orchestral passages?

P.S. By the way, have somebody compared Nautilus to more common TOTL amplifiers like WA33?

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #562 of 1,259
Thank you for clarifying. I understand about extension of both ends of frequency range, but that’s only one thing.

It’s hard for me to explain it in English, but I will try 🤣 With symphonic music (Mahler No2 for example) there are moments when whole orchestra is playing (it’s called tutti). Such moments become a real test for the amplifier. With a great amplifier these moments are played without loss of separation. You hear the whole grandiose event, but you still perfectly understand that it consists of individual instruments that are still perfectly played. In my opinion, maintaining separation in the most difficult moments of the recording is one of the things that distinguishes a good or “ok” amplifier from a great one.

I never heard really high-end tube amplifiers in my system side by side with Headtrip, but simple and not very powerful SET (not ampsandsound) absolutely was not able to do this. It produced really nice tone and image during solo passages, but tutti was a mess - amplifier was not able to maintain that holographic separated imaging during complex passages. It did not unfold the stage in proportion to its full width at such a moment, but rather shrink the orchestra to a smaller size, losing the individuality of the instruments and the space between them.

Since then I started thinking that this kind of separation and polyphony is not possible with normal tube headphone amps, only balanced (like WA33) or insanely powerful (like 845 Egoista). Am I wrong and Nautilus will have no problem maintaining imaging and separation while playing complex orchestral passages?

P.S. By the way, have somebody compared Nautilus to more common TOTL amplifiers like WA33?

Send me an example song (that I can get on Qobuz or Tidal), so I can take a listen. Also what headphones are you using? I have been impressed with the performance of A&S amps, but In fairness I do not listen to as much Symphonic music, but I can take a listen and let you know if I think it the sound stage maintained separation or if it collapses.

I have listened to the WA33. It is a very nice amp, but in general I find the Woo amps to be warmer, still excellent but where A&S amps are a touch warmer then neutral, woo amps including the WA33 falls into “warm” to me.

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #563 of 1,259
Aug 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #565 of 1,259
@ampsandsound
Justin, is there an option of protective cage/grill for Nautilus? Something like Mcintosh or Cayin have:

mha200-angle-right-cage.ashx

_90A3896.jpg

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #568 of 1,259
Oh, that's sad. I was hoping it could be a custom option. Protective cage would have been really useful for people with small kids, but all TOTL headphone amps are designed without it for some reason.
Jeff Wells has a cover for his new Dragon. I have it. It is a bit inconvenient to take off each time to turn the amp on and off though. I wish ampsandsound had this option too as I have a small child and unfortunately cannot have exposed tubes for a few years.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #569 of 1,259
Any intel about what wood selection may be in the next batch of Pendant SE's? I just ordered one. Zmf's site says current is Olive Burl, which I am not crazy about, but I am not sure if that is up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back