ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,231 of 1,248
First time posting here, but I've been happily living with my Bigger Ben rev2 for quite some time. I've been rolling a decent amount of tubes but wanted to see if anyone had experience running EL37 power tubes? I wanted to try them in my BB but thought better of just dropping them in without trying to see if anyone else has done so before me. Should be equivalent to KT66 tubes in the limited research I've done, but anyone else have any insight or impressions?
I don’t see any mention of them here but plenty of other amps are using EL37s in place of EL34s

I would check with @ampsandsound just to be sure (email is probably best)

Here are the two data sheets showing slightly different specs.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/129/e/EL34.pdf

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/129/e/EL37.pdf

Here’s the KT66 as well

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/126/k/KT66.pdf

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,232 of 1,248
I don’t see any mention of them here but plenty of other amps are using EL37s in place of EL34s

I would check with @ampsandsound just to be sure (email is probably best)

Here are the two data sheets showing slightly different specs.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/129/e/EL34.pdf

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/129/e/EL37.pdf

Here’s the KT66 as well

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/126/k/KT66.pdf
Thanks for the resources! I'll also send a note to Justin to confirm and I will follow up here for everyone's awareness once I get an answer

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #1,233 of 1,248
El37s are pin compatible but it's almost like a 6L6GB but as a pentode.
Its Max plate is 400v for which the Bigger Ben/Mogwai SE and Nautilus exceeds.
Use at your own risk!

It's very similar to 807s with an adapter. Mil Spec 807s handle the voltage without issue... but not all NOS 807s are mil spec and Mogwais' have killed more than a few.

I didn't reply the the email as I hope this was a better forum. It took a few days to get a decisive answer.... I know for sure it's an unwise choice.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,234 of 1,248
El37s are pin compatible but it's almost like a 6L6GB but as a pentode.
Its Max plate is 400v for which the Bigger Ben/Mogwai SE and Nautilus exceeds.
Use at your own risk!

It's very similar to 807s with an adapter. Mil Spec 807s handle the voltage without issue... but not all NOS 807s are mil spec and Mogwais' have killed more than a few.

I didn't reply the the email as I hope this was a better forum. It took a few days to get a decisive answer.... I know for sure it's an unwise choice.
Thank you for such a thorough answer on this, glad I checked!

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #1,235 of 1,248
Happy new owner of a lightly used Mogwai SE Rev 2. This will be my fourth A&S amp, starting with a very OG SE-84, then Mogwai SE Rev 1, Pendant SE and now the Mogwai Rev 2. I've had many amps in between those but I keep coming back to the iconic look and great sound of Justin's amps. Plus, they've all been rock solid and take well to tube rolling. Super happy to have a Mogwai again, and now onto the tube hunt...

mogwai.jpeg

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #1,236 of 1,248
Happy new owner of a lightly used Mogwai SE Rev 2. This will be my fourth A&S amp, starting with a very OG SE-84, then Mogwai SE Rev 1, Pendant SE and now the Mogwai Rev 2. I've had many amps in between those but I keep coming back to the iconic look and great sound of Justin's amps. Plus, they've all been rock solid and take well to tube rolling. Super happy to have a Mogwai again, and now onto the tube hunt...

Hows it noise wise? Also any thoughts on going to bigger ben, agartha, red october etc?

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #1,237 of 1,248
Hows it noise wise? Also any thoughts on going to bigger ben, agartha, red october etc?
I don't hear any noise at all, but I've primarily only used the Sol P on the 8 ohm tap. Nothing more sensitive than that. But I understand the Rev 2 versions are made to be quieter. It's definitely been that so far.

Yeah, definitely have thought about getting a BB or Nautilus, maybe someday. Mogwai sounds great though

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #1,239 of 1,248

mogwai.jpeg
How does the Pendant SE compare to the Mogwai?

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #1,240 of 1,248
How does the Pendant SE compare to the Mogwai?
I was surprised to find how well the Pendant SE sounded vs the Mogwai. Granted, I had a pretty top tier set of tubes for the Pendant (GEC U709, Telefunken G73R, 1954 closed getter Valvo EL84) but it was absolutely no slouch. I still think the Pendant is a helluva tube amp and one of the best deals in tube amps.

The Mogwai is the bigger sounding amp though -- fuller, richer, deeper bass. It's definitely the 'bigger brother' to the Pendant. That was my biggest takeaway of the two. I don't have the best tubes for the Mogwai, however. I was able to use the G73R but everything else was stock. I have a nice pair of TS 6550 grey plates and a GEC U52 rectifier coming my way, and will look forward to how those sound. Unfortunately I just sold the Pendant, so won't be able to compare them using the better tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #1,241 of 1,248
One of the last photos I took of my Agartha before packing it up for the move back to SOCAL.

(I can’t wait for the movers to ask me what’s in the giant Pelican Case) 🤪

IMG_4863.jpeg

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #1,243 of 1,248
You’ll sell your Agartha to them so you can get the Red October XL edition :)
I’m in Pittsburgh, I’d put money on it that the movers will assume they are firearms (which they would probably be more interested in purchasing from me than a 300B tube amp)

The FedEx driver who delivered it nearly threw his back out getting it out of his truck. When he caught his breath he asked if “I was military or sumthin”

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back