ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Apr 23, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #706 of 1,259
That's exactly what I was asking. Thank you!!

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #707 of 1,259
Ok, one more, and hopefully the last tube question. I am trying to get tubes in order for a Agartha v2.
It has 2x 300b's.

The input is a 5751/6SL7. Do I have to be wary of low gain variants (12AU7 w adapter / 6SN7) properly driving 2x 300bs? Does the fact that I will be using ZMF's (ie, a little harder to drive) make a difference?

I have seen some posts on other sites about ECC802s being made for driving 300bs despite them being low noise (12AU7) and usually used for efficient headphones.

Still learning on the tube front. Thanks for the input (tube advice).

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #708 of 1,259
Sorry misunderstood your last post as I wasn't focusing on this part:
The input is a 5751/6SL7. Do I have to be wary of low gain variants (12AU7 w adapter / 6SN7) properly driving 2x 300bs? Does the fact that I will be using ZMF's (ie, a little harder to drive) make a difference?
I would be interested to know as well. So is your amp going to take 9 pin native or the 8 pin?

I have BB Rev2 so it takes 9 pin. I tried using an adapter with some of my 6SN7, but the heaters didn't power up. I think the adapter just isn't compatible with the way the heaters are wired in the BB, but not sure. I wonder if anyone is using an Octal adapter with the BB Rev2 that works?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #709 of 1,259
Sorry misunderstood your last post as I wasn't focusing on this part:

I would be interested to know as well. So is your amp going to take 9 pin native or the 8 pin?

I have BB Rev2 so it takes 9 pin. I tried using an adapter with some of my 6SN7, but the heaters didn't power up. I think the adapter just isn't compatible with the way the heaters are wired in the BB, but not sure. I wonder if anyone is using an Octal adapter with the BB Rev2 that works?
9 pin native. That's really good to know re: 6SN7. I definitely want to avoid paying for an expensive NOS tube and not being able to use it. May be worth emailing Justin on your issue. He's always been very responsive. I just hate to bother him if there's another Head-fier who can educate me.

Apr 24, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #710 of 1,259
9 pin native. That's really good to know re: 6SN7. I definitely want to avoid paying for an expensive NOS tube and not being able to use it. May be worth emailing Justin on your issue. He's always been very responsive. I just hate to bother him if there's another Head-fier who can educate me.
I actually intended to send him an email, but got sidetracked trying all of the 9 pin tube options. I'm glad your post reminded me of it, though.

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #711 of 1,259
Hey everyone... hopefully most know Im a phone guy more than emails... I write a ton but dyslexia and public review of my replies encourages me to make responses really shot.

There should be no reason a 6SN7 didn't light up... nothing fancy or different in how we do it... the filaments can handle it... maybe a bad adapter.
That said... but why? There are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many alternate choice that would be better. For many who have an octal front end, moving with adpater to the 9pins (12AU7-12AX7) brings more drive and a reduced noise floor. If your amp can handle 9pins natively, youd be wisest to stay within that family and find 9pins that bring you joy rather than 8pins... but thats just me. With the right (correctly func) adapter you can do it.

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #712 of 1,259
ECC99 for the driver of a 300b is likely what you meant.
EC99s are pretty amazing tubes... yet it would work for a Agartha, but Id lean toward the 12AT7 or 12AX7... most (all) single ended amps, esp with a single gain stage sound better with more drive. Before getting exotic tubes you might be SHOCKED what a basic preamp can do to add to sonic bliss.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #713 of 1,259
ECC99 for the driver of a 300b is likely what you meant.
EC99s are pretty amazing tubes... yet it would work for a Agartha, but Id lean toward the 12AT7 or 12AX7... most (all) single ended amps, esp with a single gain stage sound better with more drive. Before getting exotic tubes you might be SHOCKED what a basic preamp can do to add to sonic bliss.
Great. Thank you.

Apr 25, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #714 of 1,259
Hey everyone... hopefully most know Im a phone guy more than emails... I write a ton but dyslexia and public review of my replies encourages me to make responses really shot.

There should be no reason a 6SN7 didn't light up... nothing fancy or different in how we do it... the filaments can handle it... maybe a bad adapter.
That said... but why? There are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many alternate choice that would be better. For many who have an octal front end, moving with adpater to the 9pins (12AU7-12AX7) brings more drive and a reduced noise floor. If your amp can handle 9pins natively, youd be wisest to stay within that family and find 9pins that bring you joy rather than 8pins... but thats just me. With the right (correctly func) adapter you can do it.
The only reason is that I have some really good 6SN7 around that I like the sound of. I thought I would give them a shot. It was an inexpensive adapter that I had from Ali. I checked that each pin had continuity to another, but did not verify pinout. Maybe I got lucky that it didn't damage anything if it is defective or wired wrong. I don't feel compelled to try it again at this point. LOL. At least not without a quality adapter. I've found several great options in 9pin anyway. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #715 of 1,259
The only reason is that I have some really good 6SN7 around that I like the sound of. I thought I would give them a shot. It was an inexpensive adapter that I had from Ali. I checked that each pin had continuity to another, but did not verify pinout. Maybe I got lucky that it didn't damage anything if it is defective or wired wrong. I don't feel compelled to try it again at this point. LOL. At least not without a quality adapter. I've found several great options in 9pin anyway. Thanks!
I’m the same, but with a Rev 1 bigger Ben I’m going from 6sn7 to some good 12au7/12at7. I’ve been getting my adapters via eBay from xulingmrs and been overall pretty pleased. I think one issue ever.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #716 of 1,259
I’m the same, but with a Rev 1 bigger Ben I’m going from 6sn7 to some good 12au7/12at7. I’ve been getting my adapters via eBay from xulingmrs and been overall pretty pleased. I think one issue ever.
Xulingmrs makes some good adapters and they are worth buying from her in China.
I have a few dual single plate tubes to 9 pin or octal and all have been fine. My only complaint was when I received one with smaller gauge pins and it didn’t fit as snuggler as the others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back