ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Feb 24, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #647 of 1,313
Anyone going to can jam NYC? Would love to hear some comparisons of the red October v nautilus :L3000:

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #648 of 1,313
Anyone have further input on Bigger Ben V2 vs Rockwell beyond positive-feedback piece and MrHiFiReviews video?

If me2621a is lurking, I think he has owned both.

Looking to get one or the other but I can't audition either where I am. I have narrowed it down to these based upon my love of the Kenzie, but want to eek out more sonic information with ZMF headphones while keeping toe-tapping love.

Thus far, the only distinctions that I can see via these posts are:

BB slam sacrificed for Rockwell texture
BB soundstage like being up on stage whereas Rockwell is further back like row 8 at a live show
BB has more power so going to have higher noise floor

Thanks in advance.

The Bigger Ben (V2 or V1) is a more technically capable amp then the Rockwell. The Rockwell is more romantic.

If you want to go searching for NOS tubes and enjoy doing it, the Rockwell is a very interesting amp because it’s output tubes are far cheaper in NOS form.

The Rockwell is for someone who:
1. Loves classic 50’s and early 60’s sound. Warm, nice extension but smooth up top and a bit rounder on bottom.

2. Loves 2a3 sound but wants cheaper NOS tubes the a 2a3, or loves 300b sound but wants affordable NOS tubes.

3. Someone who loves DHTs.
The Bigger Ben is for:
1. Someone who wants an incredibly technically capable amplifier.

2. Is happy to use new tubes or spend serious money on NOS tubes

3. Doesn’t want to buy another amp, the Bigger Ben can really be an end game amp.

4. Has a collection of or prefers 9 pins.

Noise floors are similar, DHTs are noisier but the BB has more power so it more or less evens out.

Personally if I had to choose 1, I would buy the BB, the Rockwell is an awesome amp, but I fell in love with it as a second amp not as my primary.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #649 of 1,313
The red october sure is one great looking amp; appreciate all the work that A&S went with on this unit. I also strongly prefer the inputs and output being placed where they are compared to most of the other models. Def on my wish list to own one of these someday.

Mar 2, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #650 of 1,313
Any impressions from canjam?

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #651 of 1,313
Any impressions from canjam?
20220227_131908.jpg

If I could afford this and the Abyss 1266 I was listening to, I would own it!

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #652 of 1,313
Trying various input tubes, in place of the stock 6SLN, should make the single biggest difference for the BB. Most folks feel power tubes next and then the rectifier.

There are some nice vintage or perhaps real NOS Tung Sol 6SU7 or Mullard ECC35 both drop in replacements w/o the need for an adapter

I think Justin has found that a lot of folks get an adapter to allow use of the many 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7 input tube versions with the base of the adapter 6SN7 / 6SL7. The list of tubes to safely use with this adapter is nearly endless. I use 12A**, Valvo 6201, Raytheon 7728 / 7730, GEC A2900 to name a few great ans some exotics.

Two well respected tube wizards have found an inexpensive input tube and these guys, @Wes S and @Guidostrunk, are saying it is FANTASTIC! They have bought and tried countless tubes and spent a fortune over time. It is the RFT ECC81, 12AT7 foil geter . Mine have not arrived yet!

If you don't want to go All IN on KT88's there is a odd tube called the Bendix 6384. Sounds really nice and you will need an adapter 6L6 at the amp and 6384 at the top. Justin heard these and though they sounded good. Then again there is always the GEC KT 88.

Read all and everything here posted by @me2621a. He has had most every amp made by Justin and is a great guy who REALLY knows what tubes really shine in these amps.

Welcome down the rabbit hole!!!!!!!!!!
Any idea where the RFT 12AT7 with foil getter can be found? I found some with the O getter on thetubestore.com and ordered one to try, but I wonder how similar it will be. Very good/helpful info. I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for your post! I'm actually researching for my anticipated delivery of a Bigger Ben. I would assume that most of these tube choice options would still apply in the new Rev 2 since it comes with a 5751 that has a very similar gain factor to the formerly used 6SL7. Also, I have a lot of 6SN7s and have an adapter coming that would allow me to use some of my 8 pin tubes. Would there be any problem with this? Thanks!

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #653 of 1,313
Any idea where the RFT 12AT7 with foil getter can be found? I found some with the O getter on thetubestore.com and ordered one to try, but I wonder how similar it will be. Very good/helpful info. I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for your post! I'm actually researching for my anticipated delivery of a Bigger Ben. I would assume that most of these tube choice options would still apply in the new Rev 2 since it comes with a 5751 that has a very similar gain factor to the formerly used 6SL7. Also, I have a lot of 6SN7s and have an adapter coming that would allow me to use some of my 8 pin tubes. Would there be any problem with this? Thanks!
Here are some RFT foil getters in 12AT7/ECC81, and I know this seller is a member in this forum too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Telefunken...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RFT-ECC81-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #654 of 1,313

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #656 of 1,313
Can I use 6ar6 tubes in the Mogwai?

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #657 of 1,313
I just finished listening to the Agartha 2021 after a few weeks without turning it on. It's incredible how the Agartha can paint such a wide scene. It's so expansive and thorough. It's like viewing the soundscape from 100 feet in the air or something. Its power is apparent and gives it solid dynamics. Really, really recommend it for soundstage lovers.

Matrix X-SPDIF 2 ->Yulong D18 -> ampsandsound Agartha 2021 -> Vérité Open Camphor Burl (Standard Cable) :)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #658 of 1,313
Can anyone comment on the how well the verite open pairs with the bigger ben?

Ive had the Kenzie encore previously and had the odd noise issue with the sensitive VO; currently torn between moving to a Kenzie ovation or bigger ben.

Thankyou

I was listening to the VO Camphor Burl with the Bigger Ben Rev 2 earlier. I think the VO Blue Camphor Burl Stabilized (Erskine) sounds a little better with the power + dynamics of the Bigger Ben Rev 2 because of the VO Blue Camphor Burl Stabilized (Erskine) sense of space and air (these differences are much more subtle after listening with matching cables).

I'm more impressed with Agartha 2021 paired with the VO. It's a match made in heaven. You feel the rumble and impact of the notes rippling in a huge soundstage.

I am really enjoying Bigger Ben V2 with now with the VO after exclusively listening after a day. It's surprisingly detailed, with a full sound, and has rumble like no other.

The Bigger Ben V2 and the Agartha 2021 are really different types of amplifiers. I'm more impressed with the sound signature of the Agartha 2021 because to me, it's such a unique sound profile that I think it would be enjoyable to anyone who loves soundstage and detail. I think the Bigger Ben Rev 2, while sounding phenomenal in itself with very thorough, weighty notes, great detail, and dynamic; the soundstage cannot be compared to Agartha 2021, which is on another level. Within the soundstage of the Agartha, the impact of the notes ripples and you get a sensational, detailed experience with the notes, which is precise as it is full of "musical character". It's like a micro, contained rumble in the imaging of the notes within a humongous stage.

I've also been trying Bigger Ben Rev 2 with other headphones, and I like it paired with the Aeolus Stabilized (Vaskas) a lot. This is a headphone that really benefits from the rumble and it feels much more intimate than with the VO.

I was just looking thru the thread and saw that the Red October had been released and is also a 300B amplifier, and I'm already planning on getting it.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #659 of 1,313
Can anyone comment on the how well the verite open pairs with the bigger ben?

Ive had the Kenzie encore previously and had the odd noise issue with the sensitive VO; currently torn between moving to a Kenzie ovation or bigger ben.

Thankyou
I have the Bigger Ben v1 and it’s a phenomenal pairing with the Verite. Noise can be an issue of course, but I find you can bring it down considerably with lower gain tubes like a 6SN7 or 12AU7 (w/adapter) in place of the 6SL7, and/or some KT66’s (for instance) instead of KT88 power tubes. The rectifier makes a difference too. And the power coming out of your wall and nearby Wi-Fi signals can have an impact as well.
All that said, if the Verite is the only headphone you plan to use, then the Bigger Ben may be a bit overpowered for your needs, especially if a bit of background noise bothers you. Throw an Abyss, LCD-4, Susvara or the like at the Bigger Ben and then you start to see what all that power is there for! Maybe a hybrid tube amp might be more your speed. Then you get the power, tube sound and a lot less noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back