Amps
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

itsderpxd

Head-Fier
hi ,

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, but I do not have an amp. I usually use them to game, movies, anything. I have no idea which to buy, and I see that FiiO is really popular, but have no clue where to turn .

Recommendations are appreciated. This amp will be plugged into a smartphone, a computer, and macbook, when in use. most likely my desktop lol. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Look into the Leckerton and iBasso units.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Your headphones are 250 ohm impedance? Probably won't do you much good... But try them out, and return if you don't like it!

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 12
Honestly, I'd be fairly surprised if you can even get a decent volume! I don't know what 990's are like underamped, but generally I believe underamped headphones have a smaller soundstage. If you want portability, an E12 might be the best bet (over 4 times the power at 32 ohms). Other desk options might be a Schiit Magni, or an O2. Leckerton and iBasso have amps as well (as previously mentioned).

It's an investment for sure, so if you're happy with the E11, you might keep it until you can get something better!

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, my recommendations were based on the assumption that you want something cheap and neutral, and in retrospect, I totally recommended you stuff I've never even listened to before! Just a heads up, so that you don't go buying something on my word alone.

The Schiit Magni is pretty cheap at $100, and is generally known as the best bang for your buck.

The Objective 2 (or O2) by JDS Labs, I've heard, is a bit pricier, but makes up for it in sound quality.

Finally, the Fiio E12 has the power you need in a portable package! But, the sound quality is worse (still awesome though) than a Magni (so I've heard), while being more expensive.

The only real amp I've heard is the Starving Student amp by pmillet! It's a great desk hybrid tube amplifier, and relatively cheap. The thing is, it's a DIY amp, so you have to buy the components and solder them together yourself based off of the schematic. I made it mostly to teach myself soldering, so I didn't mind at all, and if you want to learn to DIY, I definitely recommend it!

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Do you have a specific budget? The E12 is definitely more than enough for 990/250's. The battery life is pretty amazing too IMO.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 12
  Well, my recommendations were based on the assumption that you want something cheap and neutral, and in retrospect, I totally recommended you stuff I've never even listened to before! Just a heads up, so that you don't go buying something on my word alone.

The Schiit Magni is pretty cheap at $100, and is generally known as the best bang for your buck.

The Objective 2 (or O2) by JDS Labs, I've heard, is a bit pricier, but makes up for it in sound quality.

Finally, the Fiio E12 has the power you need in a portable package! But, the sound quality is worse (still awesome though) than a Magni (so I've heard), while being more expensive.

The only real amp I've heard is the Starving Student amp by pmillet! It's a great desk hybrid tube amplifier, and relatively cheap. The thing is, it's a DIY amp, so you have to buy the components and solder them together yourself based off of the schematic. I made it mostly to teach myself soldering, so I didn't mind at all, and if you want to learn to DIY, I definitely recommend it!

DIY is not in my best interest right now haha. 
  Do you have a specific budget? The E12 is definitely more than enough for 990/250's. The battery life is pretty amazing too IMO.

Not really. The E11 is pretty bad.. battery life sucks too. 

Is there a portable amp that can be charged while being used as well ? 

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 12

DIY is not in my best interest right now haha. 
Not really. The E11 is pretty bad.. battery life sucks too. 

Is there a portable amp that can be charged while being used as well ? 

The E12 can, not sure about the others.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Schiit magni being 100 and best bang for your buck .. that sounds extremely enticing. Anyone want to chime in with some cons before I pull the trigger? 

Either a schiit magni, or ditch my beyerdynamic DT-990 250 for a pair of ATH-M50's lol .. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back