amps with headphone out?
Aug 1, 2003 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

asdfeproiu9

Banned
If there is no line-out for, say, a portable md player, is there any way I can set it up with a headphone amp and still retain reasonable quality? In my limited experience, amp + headphone out usually sounds like crap, but are there any workarounds?

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 4
I know some portable like the iPod and some others have a built in line-out if you turn the volume up to max the headphone out becomes a line-out. If you give us the name of your player we might be able to help out a little more.

Aug 1, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Hehe well I'm not stupid ... the md player I am talking about does not have that impedance-sensing line-out. Furthermore, other than the first sony md player, I'm pretty sure none of them had line-outs of any form (some recorders do, however). The model I am talking about is the Kenwood DMC-Q35, which _should_ be exactly the same as the Q77.

Aug 1, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by asdfeproiu9
If there is no line-out for, say, a portable md player, is there any way I can set it up with a headphone amp and still retain reasonable quality?

Yes, try a quality headphone amp. Check the "mall-fi" section of this board for some excellent DIY amps (made by experienced people doing it for a living, or to build one yourself) that should harm the output signal from your MD player very little, perhaps unnoticeably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back