Amps with both Balanced and SE output?
Apr 14, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 23
Haven't heard the Rudi, but the Headamp GSX has both SE and balanced outputs. Others include: The Headroom Home Balanced, Max Balanced, the Singlepower balanced amps can be make to have this feature, RSA B52. As you can see plenty of amps have this feature.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 23
Well Markl just got his and loves it though it doesn't have balanced. I of course have a Rudistor RP010 ver. 1 and it has the same... I haven't really tried Qualias with anything else besides it and straight out of the 0404 usb but it sounds freakin awesome. What's more telling is the benefits it brings to the HD650 even single ended. I want to say that my HD650s increase in amazingness by at least 50 percent with it.

W5000 obviously doesn't sound shabby as well.. I look forward to comparing it vs the Yamamoto HA-02 when it comes or come the meet... we'll see which wins that race ;p

Edit: If you want an impression well long story short. The soundstage with the Qualias is bumped by 10 percent... and all its strong points are emphasized (I.e. detail/decay/balance and instrumental separation). Though to be honest I really don't think Qualias are hard to drive given how great it was sounding out of the 0404 usb. As for the HD650s as I told Tyrion in a pm with the RP010 I almost want to say that it is 80-maybe even 90 percent as sweet as the Qualias (This may be crazy talk) losing out on stuff like detail/decay/sounds a bit more cramped but the bass is definitely more bumping though in a less balanced sounding way (That is true pre RP010 too so no surprise there... that's just carry over from the HD650s being HD650s).

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 23
The RP010s definitely can. Rudi/Sovkiller both explained to me that there's a high quality splitter dealio inside that is similar supposedly to what balanced sources use. They said that it may in fact be better than most of the more entry level (By this I took to mean in the 1k range) DACs... though people tell me that DACs are naturally usually balanced in nature? If this is true then perhaps they don't really utilize a splitter type thing? I really have no real clue you'd have to ask a DAC/source expert for that.

Anyway, yeah RP010s can do that.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 23
Yes of yourse. I think every amp mentioned in this thread can do this except for the GS-X.
But the new Headroom Desktop Balanced can even create a inverted signal from a SE source. And of course the DACs you can order with the headroom offerings give you a balanced output.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know any good amps with both balanced and SE output by any chance?

Don't all balanced amps also have SE operation.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 23
If you buy a Singlepower balacned amplifier, you can have Mikhail put o single ended headphone outs and such.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 23
Right Singlepower has I think both balanced Supras and SDS (Supra Duper Supra? Or Super Duper Supra I forget) but they I think cost like twice as much their single ended brethren. ? Or maybe not quite that bad, but I think its a good deal more expensive than most of your other options. Still, Singlepower is hugely popular right now and Mikhail is said to be a genius plus he can tune your amp to fit your headphone collection... so if you have the cash perhaps that's what you want to go with ;p

Looks like you are heading towards a GS-X though ;p Good choice! Definitely consider Singlepower for your tube-based amp option (My philosophy is definitely 1 great solid state amp 1 great tube amp)... I look forward to getting one as well in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 23
You don't have to get a Supra XLR. Mikhail also makes balanced PPX3s, MPX3s, Extremes, etc...

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 23
Ah my bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back