amps with 'biggest' Sound?
Mar 18, 2006 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my amp. I have a Supermacro v6, and want to get an ultraportable amp for on the go (bithead, mini, etc.) and one for home listening that still allows for battery operated use (micro, desktop, sr-71, etc.) My largest concerns are:

1) Want a LARGE open soundstage w/ expansive width and depth.
2) fluidity and transparency for acoustic and live music, classic rock and jazz but also want bass with authority for hip-hop, techno, etc.
3)I use my Ipod Via via line out, and use with Shure e4c, Westone UM2, AKG k240M (which dont have to be driven with the ultraportable).
4) some serious detail resolution.

*do not consider price. I am not looking for a list as much as I am looking for people with experience and opinions on what they have heard.
eggosmile.gif

thanks

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 17
IME you'll get the biggest "size" differences when switching sources and headphones, rather than amps (just thought I'd mention that).

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 17
You are right. AKG240 for philharmonic, UM2 for Bass Mechanik, and e4c for Dream Theater. Its just that I want to further "open" the 'phones I have. I also want a realistic but authorotative bass. Please post opinions realizing that the Supermacro is my point of reference. I want to further add "large soundstage" qualities to what the supermacro already offers. As far as the ultraportable is concerned I want as much as the Macro or more.

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 17
Well, you have an amp with opamp and buffer sockets, so why not just start there.

What are you currently using in it? You will get pretty great sound out of it by putting in OPA627's and using the simple adapters from XIN to bias them to Class A. I also recommend Intersil HA-5002 buffers, which I believe XIN also sells currently as his buffers, and if you have the cash, get an extra set and stack them.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
True. Can someone give me a diagram of how to do that? I'm afraid I may mess something up.

The best thing to do is go to www.fixup.net and browse the forums, and post your questions there. XIN will post replies, and there are plenty of photos and instructions for you to follow.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Well, you have an amp with opamp and buffer sockets, so why not just start there.

What are you currently using in it? You will get pretty great sound out of it by putting in OPA627's and using the simple adapters from XIN to bias them to Class A. I also recommend Intersil HA-5002 buffers, which I believe XIN also sells currently as his buffers, and if you have the cash, get an extra set and stack them.

Yep...TheSloth just saved you $300+

The SuperMacro is a versatile little thing. You can significantly alter the sound with a few tweaks.

Happy tweaking!

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth

What do you mean stack them? Do you find that this config greatly improves the amp from the default config? And do you suggest 2 buffers?

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

What do you mean stack them? Do you find that this config greatly improves the amp from the default config? And do you suggest 2 buffers?

You literally stick another one on top of the existing one. The sockets that XIN was using recently make that super easy, as they have sockets in the top to allow you to just plug another one it. However I would check to make sure he is still using these. Otherwise you'll need to solder them. 2 is as far as most people go, as adding more increases the current draw, and has negligable benefit.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 17
I agree with other replies here.

I use SM3 V3. The biggest jump in sound quality I had was with Micro DAC and laptop source. Opamp selection is important too, and one of the best features of SM3. The recommedations below apply to V6 too.

As TheSloth states, start with opamps. You can try SA 5534 ordered from onsemi.com. You pay about $12 for shipping. Use them with OBCA sockets you order from Xin. I like it: crisp, powerful, great soundstage, and clarity. It makes a huge difference with my E5c's. Xin likes this opamp too.

You could also purchase TI SA5534 OBCA socket straight from Xin. I've never heard the TI vs. the ON SA5534. Just another option for you.

All tech info, best found at fixup.net/talk. There's a freakin' huge thread on opamps. Find it.

I also agree with Fewtch in that the source is critical also: source file and DAC.

The iPod internal DAC and lineout is ok for portability, but if money is no cost you could get a semi-portable rig with iRiver H120/H140 and a Micro DAC to go with your SM3. Many HeadFiers have this rig and rave about it. I'd love to get an iRiver myself.

icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 17
Just saw your stuff and sources in your signature:

source(s): Ipod Vid, PowerBook G4
Amp(s): SuperMacro V6
'Phone(s): Shure E4c, Westone UM2, AKG K240M, Apple stock 'buds, Aiwa HP-X223
IC(s): RNB Diamond (Via POcketDock)
Speaker(s): Logitech Z5300, MBQuart DWF 12 (car)

I'd highly, highly recommend you look into Micro DAC for $300.
Take a look at my pics on my sig link. Your ears will thank you. There's a HUGE difference between my iPod and iBook rigs. I rarely use my iPod rig anymore because it just doesn't compare to by iBook rig.

It can be any DAC really. Micro DAC is affordable, transportable, flexible.
I'd love to have a PowerBook rig. They're awesome notebooks. If you have an optical out then you're even luckier.

Again just giving you more options.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Cheers.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 17
What other DACs work well. I want the USB connectivity, since I have an older Powerbook. Battery powered is good too. Does the Total bit head work well as a headphone DAC/Pre-amp? Is the Micro much much better? I dont have the money for a DAC more than $500.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
I agree with other replies here.

I use SM3 V3. The biggest jump in sound quality I had was with Micro DAC and laptop source. Opamp selection is important too, and one of the best features of SM3. The recommedations below apply to V6 too.

As TheSloth states, start with opamps. You can try SA 5534 ordered from onsemi.com. You pay about $12 for shipping. Use them with OBCA sockets you order from Xin. I like it: crisp, powerful, great soundstage, and clarity. It makes a huge difference with my E5c's. Xin likes this opamp too.

You could also purchase TI SA5534 OBCA socket straight from Xin. I've never heard the TI vs. the ON SA5534. Just another option for you.

All tech info, best found at fixup.net/talk. There's a freakin' huge thread on opamps. Find it.

I also agree with Fewtch in that the source is critical also: source file and DAC.

The iPod internal DAC and lineout is ok for portability, but if money is no cost you could get a semi-portable rig with iRiver H120/H140 and a Micro DAC to go with your SM3. Many HeadFiers have this rig and rave about it. I'd love to get an iRiver myself.

icon10.gif

Is the On Semi allot better than the 627 configuration? What are apparent differences in signiture? I also nee the power for a 600ohm can.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Is the On Semi allot better than the 627 configuration? What are apparent differences in signiture? I also nee the power for a 600ohm can.

It's certainly cheaper. As for the sound, I never head it. But I still consider the 627/637 the reference standard for monolithic opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back