Amps to pair with Grados
Jul 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 48
Tube amps won't ruin the highs of your 325i's. On the contrary, many may even enhance the treble range, or leave it as you know it now. The fact is, tube amps and SS amps aren't tethered to their stereotypes: I'm sure many of us will comment that the typical SS signature can be found in many tube amps, and vice versa.

Frankly, if I were you I wouldn't limit my search to solid-state only amps. Yeah, I've no doubt that there are some fantastic pieces of SS machinery floating around the market (EC/SS springs to mind), but in my experience, Grado's are simply "underdeveloped" without some kind of rectifier in the audio chain. Here, I have to agree with mrarroyo's recommendation, even if I'm a bit biased in doing so.

Indeed, I'd take a good, long look at the MAD EAR+ HD; as it has the remarkable ability to tighten and clean the sound signature of every phone it drives. You get, in other words, a more defined presentation: each frequency range becomes equally audible and equally deliberate.

The MAD is only one tube amp, however, and I think with a bit of research you'll discover the wealth of quality amps that drive Grado's with dignity and passion.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just wondering why no one recommends the Grado RA1 Headphone amplifier made by Grado for Grado?

Because slightly tweaked Cmoy in wooden box isnt exactly an amplifier to bring out Grados potential, especially in that price range.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just wondering why no one recommends the Grado RA1 Headphone amplifier made by Grado for Grado?

Quite simply, most consider the amp overpriced when taking its CMOY reminiscent design into account. The fact is, however, that the RA-1 is indeed a great little amp, and performs just as advertised (or perhaps better) with pretty much all of Grado's models - though the GS-1000's mate particularly well here. Unquestionably, the RA-1 would be recommended, purchased, and enjoyed twice as frequently had no one bothered to analyze the internal components - and it certainly ain't a bad choice if you can score one used.

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #20 of 48
I miss my RS-1/PPX3 SLAM combo SO much...

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #22 of 48
Listening to RS1/Meier Opera combo right now with some Jeff Buckley.
Great pairing,plenty of punch, deep controlled bass and clean highs(essential when he starts heading for those top notes). This isn't always an RS1 virtue.
I'm currently trialing some better ics with this setup and getting the umbilical cord right makes a world of difference.

Maybe I'm becoming a fan of crossfeed but I prefer the Grados with the Meier than my MAD most of the time.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I miss my RS-1/PPX3 SLAM combo SO much...

I'll enjoy mine for you then....
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #24 of 48
For me Meier Opera / MS-Pro didn't work well: Punchy bass, very precise sound, but too clear. I really enjoy my MS-Pro with my RSA HR-2. RSA amps are a bit warm and it suits well to Alessandro cans AFAIC.
From my experience Singlepower and MAD are really good with Grados and Alessandros too.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #25 of 48
What about the ORIGINAL Grado headphone amp?? The Joseph Grado HPA-1??

How does it do compared to the RA-1 and the current crop of headamp offerings for Grados??

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite simply, most consider the amp overpriced when taking its CMOY reminiscent design into account. The fact is, however, that the RA-1 is indeed a great little amp, and performs just as advertised (or perhaps better) with pretty much all of Grado's models - though the GS-1000's mate particularly well here. Unquestionably, the RA-1 would be recommended, purchased, and enjoyed twice as frequently had no one bothered to analyze the internal components - and it certainly ain't a bad choice if you can score one used.

I too looked into this and found when I tried the Grado RA1 amp with my SR352is headphones, it deem seem to be the best match compared to:

NuForce Icon Mobile - way too bright and lot's of distortion when cranked up
PA2V2 - better than the NuForce, but I found it a little muddy

The RA1 seemed to make everything a little better: highs, mids, lows, sound stage, etc...

So as you said, I scored one used for a great price. The only limitation that I had about tube amps was finding new ones to replace every year or so (time and money).

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the Grado a Cmoy? Or should I rephrase that the Cmoy copied RA1 design. So why buy RA1?

Many have stated that it has an excellent synergy with the RS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back