amps to make rs1 less warm?
Jun 21, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 11
The RS-1 and RS-2 are warm sounding headphones, so it may be difficult to get them to sound more neutral by changing the amplification, as they will likely continue to retain the Grado-house sound. That said, what amplifier and source are you currently using with them? IF you're using a tube amp and/or a non-oversampling DAC, you might want to consider switching to a solid state amp and an oversamplng DAC.

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I don't find my rs-1's warm, in fact I find them neutral.
Like a k501 with bass.

That's probably because I am using a lean and dry dac fed to my NVA (a very neutral, solid state amp) SO there is hope.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 11
Gilmore Lite I guess. From what I have readed, its not most warm amplifier around. Do you use bowl pads too?

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might want to consider switching to a solid state amp and an oversamplng DAC.

A solid state might "cool the sound down" but don't expect an oversampling DAC to change the tone of the sound. If it does, chances are that other changes to the sound that happen along with that would be noticeable that you would not like.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 11
i use bowls now. they sure sound warm compared to the alessandros. i like both, but i like the more natural sounding alessandros more, which differs from most head-fiers' tastes i presume.

will changing them to say flats help? i doubt it'll be dramatic enough anyway.

is the mapletree warm? i'm guessing it is, being a tube amp.

hmmm if this keeps up i mite ask for a trade for an ms-pro instead!

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Flats DEFINITELY make a difference. They sound completely different than they do with bowls, and I have to say I like it that way as well.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPatcH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flats DEFINITELY make a difference. They sound completely different than they do with bowls, and I have to say I like it that way as well.

Flats and bowls indeed make a significant difference (which is why I keep a pair of each) but if the RS-1 is too warm with bowls, you can expect that the flats will only exacerbate the situation.

Don't have much advice for you, but take heed - going to a Solid State amp does not necessarily mean that you're going to get a colder signature. I run my Grados out of an Eddie Current EC/SS and it's anything but dry or sterile.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find my rs-1's warm, in fact I find them neutral.
Like a k501 with bass.

That's probably because I am using a lean and dry dac fed to my NVA (a very neutral, solid state amp) SO there is hope.
rs1smile.gif

It may seem a bit daft but it depends on who is in charge. If the load is in charge of the amp as tends to happen in tube amps - especially single ended, then character tends to change. If the amp is in charge of the load, as is more of the case in SS amps then the character doesn't change. Who is in charge depends on damping and current drive. This is why this tends to mostly only inflict itself to a recognisable level on low impedance headphones like Grado.

Richard

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 11
less warm?
recable with solid silver wires might just do the trick....... Will have a lot of details for sure. HGA has silver on sale, 24 gauge is about right for phone cables, and at $1/ft, recabling won't cost too much..... much less than getting a new amp
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back