Amps necessary for iems? benefits?
Jan 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Amps are required for some IEMs that either have low sensitivity, really low impedance (low is dependant on device used) or high impedance (device dependant again, typically > 64 ohm).  However, all IEMs will benifit from amping, some mroe then others.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
no, you don't need an amp, but it may improve the sound a bit.

???  Isn't that the whole point?

Not to sound cliche' but it really depends on the IEM you are using.  With the exception of W4 I founds amps to not help much at all with the rest of Westone's line-up.  Same with Shure.  Etymotic, it definitely helps.  My JH5, it definitely helps.  Grado's, it definitely helps.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
no, you don't need an amp, but it may improve the sound a bit.

IEMs will benefit the least of all headphones, not necessary

Hi, i'm new in the world Head-Fi, but im always wondering, how the hell can a portable amp improve the sound quality?
It's just a plus circuit between the headphone and the player, it's possibly worsens the clarity, or no?

I just asking, i have a Fiio E5, but i don't use it since i don't have headphones with high impedance.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

IEMs will benefit the least of all headphones, not necessary

Hi, i'm new in the world Head-Fi, but im always wondering, how the hell can a portable amp improve the sound quality?
It's just a plus circuit between the headphone and the player, it's possibly worsens the clarity, or no?

I just asking, i have a Fiio E5, but i don't use it since i don't have headphones with high impedance.

No, it's not just a "plus circuit" between the Headphone and Player. For example, an Apple LOD bypasses the internal Amp located before the Headphone jack on an iDevice, and the signal is both clearer and a more constant current. It's a similar concept for devices without a LOD. An amp allows the amp to do most of the powering, and seeing how most portable devices don't have a strong amp inside to push a strong constant current, imbalance and other stuff happens. The essential point of an Amp is to take the "code" from the device, and the amp does most of the "powering" because it's capable of producing a stronger, constant current. So technically, clarity should be improved due to a better quality "push".

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 11
And it's always make the output more stable or only from digital output/LOD. I thinking of buy a better amp then my E5, cause i hear it a but dumber then without the Fiio.

But thanks your comment planx, it was really useful :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 11
And it's always make the output more stable or only from digital output/LOD. I thinking of buy a better amp then my E5, cause i hear it a but dumber then without the Fiio.

But thanks your comment planx, it was really useful :)

The E5 is decent at best. Loved the size of it, but something like an E11 really makes a difference. There are a lot of premium portable amps like the JDSLabs C421 and TTVJ slim, but in my honest opinion, the E11 isn't at all far off from them

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Fiio E-11 here, sometimes pushing a sony and Vsonic07...    Mine recently died, no biggie, brought it everywhere.. maybe I can do with out it, as I use it maybe 60%+...Well I ended up getting another E-11 in a few days. Found a deal on ebay from J@r for 51 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back