AMPs for low impedance cans like Ms2i, RS1 & D7000
Aug 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

At this moment Im after an amp which can drive my low impedance headphones well. I use MG Head OTL MKIII regularly but I found that it did an unaccept job for my ms2i, rs1 & D7000 (under transformer mode). I know low impedance cans need high current so Im wondering whether tube amps can provide it?

I have limit budget so Im think to buy an amp under USD400. Here is a list which i can afford:
Audio-GD Compass (I dont want to use its DAC function but I heard that Compass has a very good headphone amp)
Little Dot MKV or Little Dot MKVII (I dont have any balanced headphones)
Dark Voice 336i (Not sure what this amp can do)
What do you think? Or maybe I should get more fund to buy a LD MKVI (heard lots of talk about it can do well for both low/high cans)?

Thanks in advance guys~~~

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 20
anyone?

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 20
GS Novo is a good option too.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 20
Headamp Gilmore Lite is a old and popular choice. Dynalo based discrete amplifier. Neutral and powerfull for low impedance headphones.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 20
I know that the Little Dot 1+ is much cheaper than the approx. $400 US that you have to spend, but it does wonders for my SR-325is's, using reasonable Sylvania tubes. Any further up the LD line from the II++/MK II and you'd be over-doing it (or so I've read). Love the avatar, CapQ, BTW. J Dilla lives!

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 20
Thanks fellas, anyone can comments on LD MKV for low impedance cans?
And what's different between SOLO and NOVO?

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 20
double post, sorry

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IIRC Solo is opamp based amplifier and Novo is discrete.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 20
OT but how hard is it to switch opamps on the Keces DACs
smily_headphones1.gif

Which headphone did you base that opamp choice on primarily?

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 20
If its anything like DA131, you just take the plastic lid off and pull the opamps out of their sockets and put others in. Easy.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 20
Im using the head-direct EF-1with Mullard-tubes on my (primarily) Denon 7000s and my Rs1s. I use my denons more or less all the time because of the general comfort, tho. Both sounds great, though! Can highly recommend the EF-1

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC Solo is opamp based amplifier and Novo is discrete.

I have both and the sound out of the Solo SRG is at least a couple of levels above the Novo and it should be considering the price difference. Recently Graham Slee tweaked the Solo and it is now the Solo SRGII, the bass has been unproved following recommendations from various Head Fiers who had an opportunity to listen to the Solo SRG. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back