Amps for ipods
Sep 17, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevP
Thinking about a relatively inexpensive portable amp for ipod. Anything other than Headroom Air Head that anyone can suggest?

How cheap and with which phones?

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevP
Thinking about a relatively inexpensive portable amp for ipod. Anything other than Headroom Air Head that anyone can suggest?

Hi -

I just recieved today, and have been listening to the
Headsave GoVibe and it is amazing, especially considering the price. I purchased and promtly returned the Headroom Total BitHead as I honestly did not think it was worth what they were charging for it. For about one-third the price, you get 10 times better amp in the GoVibe. Or you can save $5 and get the MintVibe - internals are the same but the enclosure is different.

I am no expert, and have not listened to a lot of amps, but I know when I am listening to a good thing
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 27
Thanks Gandhi. That's esactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. And it's interesting that you returned the Headroom amp. I'll check it out and see if I can get it from the UK.

Sep 18, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandhi
Hi -

I just recieved today, and have been listening to the
Headsave GoVibe and it is amazing, especially considering the price. I purchased and promtly returned the Headroom Total BitHead as I honestly did not think it was worth what they were charging for it. For about one-third the price, you get 10 times better amp in the GoVibe. Or you can save $5 and get the MintVibe - internals are the same but the enclosure is different.

I am no expert, and have not listened to a lot of amps, but I know when I am listening to a good thing
tongue.gif

Comparing HeadSave's line to the 2004 TAH and TBH's, the latter are better amps, at least with the Shure e5s, (and Ety ER4s/p as well), than anything but the Headsave (AD 8620) Classic, and more balanced and versatile than even the Classic. But for over 2 bones in either case, I'd advise the Classic or the GoVibe, if $$ REALLY tight....

I've owned a lot of amps, and still own the 2004 TAH, the (AD 8620) Classic, the GoVibe, the Xin SuperDual, a few Emmelines, a Gilmore Lite, and a few other much larger, carnivorous, wallet-eating amps as well...
icon10.gif

With my Ety 4S's, Shure e5s, EM3's, DT880's, HD 650s and Grado 225's, all these amps sound like different flavors of 'good/great'... it just depends on my mood.
icon10.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 27
I'm using my iPod with Total Airhead 2004 (4 AAA battery version) and I'm quite happy. Compare to highend models, its background isn't as quiet but for only 10% of the cost, I can't complain
wink.gif
Besure to use lineout from dock for the best sound quality.

Sep 18, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 27
I've used a Xin SuperMini, Xin SuperDual, and JMT Portable (PIMETA) with my iPod. To my ears the PIMETA had the best sound (by just a little) followed closely by the SuperDual. The SuperMini lagged behind, but I believe Xin has continued to tweak it since then. I would recommend any of these.

The SuperDual's no longer made, but was $159 new...not sure if it's risen or dropped in value since. The SuperMini is on www.fixup.net at $119.99. The JMT Portable is at www.jmtaudio.com starting at $150, but last I checked he had a demo or two available at $110 - a great bargain if you ask me.

Caveat: My listening was with Ety 4S's. Amp synergy with your E5's might well vary.

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 27
I don't know if amping the e-5's off the ipod is really a good idea. Those e-5's are so sensitive, that any amp up to ipod sound quality, will amplify any sound defect or encoding deficiency.

Sep 19, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I've used a Xin SuperMini, Xin SuperDual, and JMT Portable (PIMETA) with my iPod. To my ears the PIMETA had the best sound (by just a little) followed closely by the SuperDual. The SuperMini lagged behind, but I believe Xin has continued to tweak it since then. I would recommend any of these.

The SuperDual's no longer made, but was $159 new...not sure if it's risen or dropped in value since. The SuperMini is on www.fixup.net at $119.99. The JMT Portable is at www.jmtaudio.com starting at $150, but last I checked he had a demo or two available at $110 - a great bargain if you ask me.

Caveat: My listening was with Ety 4S's. Amp synergy with your E5's might well vary.

how do the SuperMini, PIMETA and SuperDual compare, size wize?

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
how do the SuperMini, PIMETA and SuperDual compare, size wize?

The SuperMini or SuperDual are small enough to leave semipermanently velcro'd to the back of your iPod if you're so inclined. PIMETA is larger.

SuperMini is the size of 4AAA batteries side by side, plus a plastic shell (it takes 3 AAA's, and the remaining space is where the electronics go).

SuperDual is the size of a 9V battery plus a quarter inch or so (for the electronics), plus a plastic shell.

The portable PIMETA is front-pants-pocket sized (sorry, I can't think of a household object to compare it to).

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
The SuperMini or SuperDual are small enough to leave semipermanently velcro'd to the back of your iPod if you're so inclined. PIMETA is larger.

SuperMini is the size of 4AAA batteries side by side, plus a plastic shell (it takes 3 AAA's, and the remaining space is where the electronics go).

SuperDual is the size of a 9V battery plus a quarter inch or so (for the electronics), plus a plastic shell.

The portable PIMETA is front-pants-pocket sized (sorry, I can't think of a household object to compare it to).

thanks a lot! looks like my idea of getting the SuperMini or SuperDual is correct, as i want an amp i can leave velcroed onto my iPod case. thanks!

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 27
The go-Vibe, with its dark,rich stock OPA2227 and the expressiveness of its bufferless design, is synergistic with the treble sensitivity and ability to present detail of the canalphones. I've been thoroughly enjoying the combination of the go-Vibe with both the SONY EX71SL and the Ety ER6 from portable, computer, and stationary sources. The go-Vibe in the audio path provides a set of very noticeable and enjoyable improvements to the sound quality with canalphones: better-formed and more impactful bass, sweeter and more tuneful mids, clearer and airier highs, better voice separation and simulataneously better coherence of the voices as components of a unified music, more depth of sound and translucency across the acoustic spectrum, more spacious and coherent soundstage - overall - more enjoyment of the music and a happier set of ears. The go-Vibe delivers on the benefits of the headphone amp when used with the canalphones I own from a variety of sources of varying qualities. As a plus for audio-geeks, its opamp is socketted so it is easy to try different opamps in it to customize its sound for the particular phones, ears and even mood of the listener. For its stock price of $65, it offers a fine value.

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I don't know if amping the e-5's off the ipod is really a good idea. Those e-5's are so sensitive, that any amp up to ipod sound quality, will amplify any sound defect or encoding deficiency.

Wasn't there a thread before where people were talking about how the E5s don't really benefit until you get to the real high-quality amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back