Amps, confused?
Feb 21, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 10
1.what amps do = They amplify the sound

2. if they are portable = They can be if small enough and (should) run on batteries.

3. why they are important = Because they sound better than average cheap headphone outs in HI-FI equipment.

4. If I need one = What headphones do you have? High impedance? Want better sound? etc. etc.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 10
That particular question has been pretty well covered, I would do a search for the past threads.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
to be honest, i didn't feel like it, and I just wanted it to be broken down to answer my specific questions, and im too lazy.

Honesty is a good thing, but it is not profitable to its possessor unless it is kept under control. - Don Marquis

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboarderman
Honesty is a good thing, but it is not profitable to its possessor unless it is kept under control. - Don Marquis

Now that's entertainment!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
Can someone explain what amps do, and if they are portable, and why they are important, and If I need one?

If you find yourself with the volume turned up all the way on your PCDP or DAP, that's a good sign that you need a portable amp. An amp will amplify the signal, and there are many portable types out there (PA2V2, Cmoy, MINT, Pimeta, Headroom - google is your friend here). It's likely to sound better too - if you have your volume knob all the way up, the amp is probably at max and is likely to start clipping. I will spare you the technical details but clipping is bad and the result is inferior sound.

On the other hand, if you are happy with the volume only turned up half way on your portable rig, you probably don't need an amp.

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 10
In order to answer you more thorougly, it would help to know what you're using to listen to music with now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back