Amps around $200 or less...
Nov 2, 2016 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Neccros

100+ Head-Fier
If this belongs in another section, feel free to move it.

My desktop PC setup is currently:

Foobar-->JDS O2/ODAC-->Fiio A1-->AJ Pioneers (Yes I am broke, cant you tell?)

The Fiio A1 is a great amp with ZERO channel imbalance issues. It's rated at 14w ch. (not sure of ohm rating). But I decided I want something with a little more power so I picked up a Dayton Audio DTA-120.

It sounds great, is a little brighter than the A1, better separation and more punch. Problem is it has channel imbalance issues around the lower volume level I plan on using this amp at sometimes. And just overall, channel imbalance drives me nuts!!  Not sure if its only the one I happened to get, or if this is normal for all of the DTA-120's.

So now I am looking for:

A small footprint amp, Class T or D (See Fiio A1 or DTA-120 for size reference)

Between 25-50w ch. @ 6 ohms.

It needs RCA inputs

Speaker terminals and a on/off/volume knob or separate on/off switch.

Don't need any bass/treble knobs, bass boost, or even a headphone jack (Not a deal breaker if it has one!) , just a pure amp.

Looking to spend $0-200 new or used and MAYBE a little more if the amps worth it.

So what do you guys have experience with, or can recommend????  I am drowning in a sea of cheap amps so trying to figure out the quality ones from the rest.

Thanks in advanced. 

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 16
I've got an SMSL Q5 and I love it. Their plain amps get pretty good reviews too, so maybe something like the SMSL SA60? It's 55w @ 8Ohms, so probably 35-40'ish @ 6Ohms (too early to do the math).If you wanted more input flexibility and didn't mind paying a little more, the Q5 would be around 30 @ 6 Ohms and gives you USB, optical, etc.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 16
  I've got an SMSL Q5 and I love it. Their plain amps get pretty good reviews too, so maybe something like the SMSL SA60? It's 55w @ 8Ohms, so probably 35-40'ish @ 6Ohms (too early to do the math).If you wanted more input flexibility and didn't mind paying a little more, the Q5 would be around 30 @ 6 Ohms and gives you USB, optical, etc.

Any evidence of channel imbalance??? This is one of my pet peeves on any amp/personal audio player, etc!

Yeah don't need a DAC on the amp... I use the O2/ODAC for that... Just need it to drive speakers

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 16
I'm sure you're looking at all the Topping and SMSL amps on Amazon, Massdrop, etc.

In our home office, we have the Sony UDA-1 which a bunch of Head-Fiers got on Woot for $200 a while back; not sure if they're still available/what they go for. If they are, it's a great all-rounder dac/speaker/headphone/amp with a remote...great value for the $$$. That said, it's got more functionality than what you're looking for unless you sell the O2/ODAC.

Guttenberg has recommended a few Lepai amps on CNET over the years.

And...if you're willing to bend a little on your footprint constraints, I'd look at the Emotiva A-100. For $199, it looks like a tremendous value given the build and specs.

Excerpts from their site --

The BasX A-100 offers all the essential features that make a great audio component, like a heavy duty power supply, great sounding high-current short signal path Class A/B amplifiers, industry standard unbalanced audio inputs, and full-sized five-way binding post speaker terminals.

Power Output
50 watts / channel RMS; 8 Ohms; 20 Hz - 20 kHz; <0.05% THD; both channels driven (FTC).
80 watts / channel RMS; continuous; into 4 ohms.

Headphone Output
Front panel jack; full sized 1/4”.
Headphone output is derived from the main speaker outputs via high quality 220 Ohm resistors.
Optional high-power mode for driving low-efficiency planar headphones.

S/N Ratio
> 110 dB (A-weighted; ref full output).

Frequency Response
20 Hz to 20 kHz + / - 0.08 dB at 1 watt (- 1 dB at 80 kHz).

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 16
I wish someone made a quality higher end amp but the size of these SMSL/Topping amps.... I constantly see people complain about imbalance issues with these and that's what is really keeping me from pulling the trigger on one.  I really love the size of them though.. 

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 16
  I wish someone made a quality higher end amp but the size of these SMSL/Topping amps.... I constantly see people complain about imbalance issues with these and that's what is really keeping me from pulling the trigger on one.  I really love the size of them though.. 

They do, just not in the price range. Project Maia has some small footprint amps, but they start around $500, Denon has one, NAD has a couple, etc. The best "cheaper" ones I've personally heard are the new Yamaha WXA-50 ($499) and the TEAC AI-301DA ($399). The Yamaha is a beast, if I weren't looking to go more the headphone route, I'd totally save up for one.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 16
A couple other alternatives...

Musical fidelity V90-AMP for $139.99 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H54F9R8/ref=psdc_537344_t3_B013UCJFSW)

Teac AI-101DA for $299.99 (https://www.amazon.com/Teac-AI-101DA-B-Integrated-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00UGYFWQC)

Kanto Living Yaro2 for $219.99 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233033-REG/kanto_living_yaro2_amp_yaro2_2_channel_amplifier.html/prm/alsVwDtl)

EDIT: one more...

The Audioengine N22 Desktop Audio Amplifier for $199.00 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049OI08W)

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 16
Am thinking the Audioengine is in that league...

According to this article it's actually a Class A/B amp with nice sound...never heard it myself though. Article compares N22 with DTA-100a and Mini-T amps using the Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR speakers.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 16
Am thinking the Audioengine is in that league...

According to this article it's actually a Class A/B amp with nice sound...never heard it myself though. Article compares N22 with DTA-100a and Mini-T amps using the Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR speakers.

Even thought he is reviewing the DTA-100a, he reported the same issues I had with the "Improved" DTA-120... Imbalanced at low volume levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back