Amps and Volume question
Jun 26, 2003 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jacobh

100+ Head-Fier
I've noticed that if I leave my X-cans on a constant volume when I switch from low impedence phones to high-impedence phones (Grado to Senn) the volume level decreases a significant bit. This would seem normal to me. However, when keeping the volume control constant on my reciever, there is actually a volume increase when I plug in the senns. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyone have an idea of why this happens?

Jun 28, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes, I think, I do - I just don't know whether I can explain it properly, but I'll try: The headphone jack on your receiver is probably a "speaker output plus additional resistor"-version. With the Grado, the internal resistor of the receiver is the higher impedant and thus more significant load. With the Senn, it's vice versa: The headphone load is more significant than the load of the resistor, so the headphone will get a larger chunk of the total output voltage (= the voltage on the speaker terminals). Of course, the current limitation is much higher with the Seen than with the Grados, but in certain circumstances the larger output voltage chunk will outweigh the current limitation caused by the higher impedance.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I think, somebody with a bit of knowledge in electrical engineering could back me up on this by prividing the corresponding formulas farily easily...

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 4
whew................ man that was intense. Lini,I was following you like a bloodhound on a coon, and just when I thought I was gonna see the little critter and lock my teeth on him,I realized I was't a hunting dog. Damn though,I really thought I could do this.

Jun 29, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 4
inthused: Did I fail to give a proper explanation, or are you just unable to set up the corresponding formulas (like me
wink.gif
)?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back