Amps and headphones / unbalanced and balanced connectors
Jan 6, 2016 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

starblue

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right sub forum for my question so mods please feel free to move if necessary.

My question is around harnessing the benefits of balanced circuit in amps if the headphone is unbalanced/has normal stereo jack.

My gear
Amps/players with balanced output
- audio GD NFB 27, has balanced four pin XLR output socket
- Pioneer XPA 700 with pioneer's 4 pin balanced output
- Sony HA 3 with 2 separate single channel balanced outputs
- Onkyo DP-X1 with a single mini 4 pin balanced out

Amps/played without unbalanced output
- Pioneer N70 A
- Woo Audio WA6SE
- Ak120

Headphones
- Audeze LCD 3 4 pin XLR balanced cable
- Fostex TH900
- Denon AH D5000
- Senn HD 800
- Shute open back flagship (can't remember the model name right now)
- Sony mid tier headphone, again can't remember the name

All except LCD3 have stock cable with standard 3.5 or 6.3 mm stereo jack. Which means although most of my amps are balanced, I can't use balanced inputs

I also don't want to loose the flexibility of using standard stereo output in case I buy some new amp or player without it.

So what are my options
- is it possible to custom build adapters - male in to amps balanced output with female socket for standard male stereo at the other end. In other words, amps balanced to unbalanced headphone. Advantage - headphones are untouched, can be used as such with any standard player, potentially cheaper than reterminating or rewiring.
- is it possible to custom build opposite adaptor -I.e reterminate all headphones to balanced, let's say 4 pin type XLR and have (I) balanced adapters depending on the amp output socket type which should be Ok I believe and (II) have balanced 4 pin XLR to standard 3.5 or 6.3mm stereo adaptor, if it's possible, so that headphones can be used with standard players as well if required.

So my question is
- which one of the above are possible without destroying my amp (shorting output circuit)
- what else do I need to be careful about if I go either of the above route ?

Thank you for your advice on advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 2
The first option would not work. If any part of the headphone is unbalance (the left and right grounds are shorted) then it will be electrically equivalent to shorting them together at the amp. I don't know if that would damage it, but it would at least force it into being unbalanced which defeats the purpose.

The second option would work as long as you completely redo the wiring of the headphone. You can't split or reterminate the unbalanced wire of an unbalanced headphone to turn it into balanced. The grounds will still be shorted together at the beginning of the wire, or possibly inside the headphone cups. You have to make sure that it is balanced all the way to the terminals of the drivers. Then you can use one adapter for each of the balanced plug types and one adapter for connecting any of your balanced headphones to an unbalanced amp. Use a continuity tester or multimeter to check for continuity between the left and right grounds. If you've done it right, there will be no continuity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back