amps and headphone recommendation
May 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DevilGin

Head-Fier
Hello head-fi and im planning on purchasing a DAC, amp and headphones for home use:

MY portable specs at the moment are:

HD25/P5
PA2V2
iphone 4

Music: source is FLAC from a computer or iphone if need be.
Dubstep
Drum and bass
Metal
Classic rock 
Live music
Jazz/funk

What amp/headphone combination would you recommend me? Budget is roughly £400-600 GBP

Must have a nice warm sound and have character, must have nice treble and mids, bass must be tight and not bleed into mids and highs. Vocals must be able to be heard.

Also wouldnt mind a tube amp either for recommendation

thank you for your time.

May 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
Heya,

Denon D5000 or Hifiman HE-400

Pair with a Little Dot MK II perhaps.

Very best,

Sounds like a solid recommendation and the HE-400 was a pair I was looking into. Thanks for the advice.

Would you recommend any schiit products since (I like the warranty) in combination with the headphones you mentioned?

Also any mention on a DAC?

May 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Sounds like a solid recommendation and the HE-400 was a pair I was looking into. Thanks for the advice.

Would you recommend any schiit products since (I like the warranty) in combination with the headphones you mentioned?

Also any mention on a DAC?

Heya,

Well, neither headphone really need an amplifier. You just mentioned a tube, so I went with a tube that worked well with low impedance headphones. The Lyr & Valhalla are tubes but are vast overkill for the likes of low impedance headphones that are efficient (the Lyr is good for low impedance headphones that are not efficient, like planar magnetics). The Asgard would be appropriate for either headphone, but it too is vast overkill for what you're looking at. I would literally just put you on a simple Fiio E10 for a DAC/AMP option. It's more than what you need for these headphones and doesn't break the bank at all.

Very best,

May 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 18
Thank you for replying so fast!

The Fiio E10 does look promising would the E17 be any much of a step up or worst from the E10?

I'm still kinda new to these region of medium/high end of the market. So what type of headphones do schiit power (out of curiousity).

May 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Thank you for replying so fast!

The Fiio E10 does look promising would the E17 be any much of a step up or worst from the E10?

I'm still kinda new to these region of medium/high end of the market. So what type of headphones do schiit power (out of curiousity).

Heya,

The E17 is very similar, it simply has a battery and is capable of being used portably while the E10 is not (it's USB only).

The Schiit amps generally are going to be for headphones of higher impedance or simply lower sensitivities, or just think of them as harder to drive properly. Low impedance headphones that are efficient don't need high powered amplifiers. You can do it, but it would be a waste of money as it won't do anything for the headphone that something much cheaper isn't already doing (at least when looking at entry and mid-grade equipment like this).

Very best,

May 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 18
 Highly recommend the Furutech/ADL 'Stride' as a higher end option to the Fiio E10 or E17 - very clean sounding - will cost you more but this unit is a no regret option.

May 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
 Highly recommend the Furutech/ADL 'Stride' as a higher end option to the Fiio E10 or E17 - very clean sounding - will cost you more but this unit is a no regret option.

Fantastic looking product i was looking into this one also but i may try and purchase a TTVJ hybrid amp in the trade section becuase i love the look, and it seems to be quite nice also! 

Does anyone have an opinion on it? (yes it is a bit expensive but a tube portable would be a big bonus for me)

May 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Im thinking of buying a or a ALO national

The new National is not a bad unit, I've only had a very brief play with one that came into town - its still a sizable unit like the Contintental V2, we can
 always wish they would be a little smaller - that said it sounds great for a solid state, and the price point makes it a winner - there is still a gulf in price
 difference between Fiio and other makers - sure, some independent makers are making efforts but we are yet to see a major brand release lets say
 a very competent portable amp unit at $250 

May 21, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 18
Thank you for your small experience with it :)

It seems like a good buy

Is Denon D5000 + the national a good pairing? i am intend in getting the national so a good recommendation for a set of cans would be nice thank you :)

May 21, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Thank you for your small experience with it :)

It seems like a good buy

Is Denon D5000 + the national a good pairing? i am intend in getting the national so a good recommendation for a set of cans would be nice thank you :)

The denons DO NOT NEED AN AMP, you would be wasting your money, they just need a tad more power then a laptop can provide.
The big difference will come with a good DAC, and the Fiio is great bang for buck. I owned the D2k for a long time, and now the D7k, and plugged them into a ton of devices. An amp is wasting your money in a big way.

But a good DAC and you will be happy I promise. I have them paired with My Asus STX (not recommended for the impedance mismatch) with a faux impedance decreasing adapter, and a variety of opamps, and the clarity is bat-****, its just awesum.

May 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

The denons DO NOT NEED AN AMP, you would be wasting your money, they just need a tad more power then a laptop can provide.
The big difference will come with a good DAC, and the Fiio is great bang for buck. I owned the D2k for a long time, and now the D7k, and plugged them into a ton of devices. An amp is wasting your money in a big way.
But a good DAC and you will be happy I promise. I have them paired with My Asus STX (not recommended for the impedance mismatch) with a faux impedance decreasing adapter, and a variety of opamps, and the clarity is bat-****, its just awesum.

As i said i was thinking of a DAC and a AMP, i just want a clear, warm sound that is subtely relaxing im not that fussed about it being super fast for metal as i like to calm down with the music. The denons are looking promising but from what i read people do not mention the sound stage that often. A airy soundstage would be nice but i would think the hifiman HE-400 would suit it that more.

Also i read that the denon would require some amping for it to shine truely?

what DACs do you recommend the Fiio E17 or E10 looks promising as i said my budget is a fair amount.

May 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
As i said i was thinking of a DAC and a AMP, i just want a clear, warm sound that is subtely relaxing im not that fussed about it being super fast for metal as i like to calm down with the music. The denons are looking promising but from what i read people do not mention the sound stage that often. A airy soundstage would be nice but i would think the hifiman HE-400 would suit it that more.

Also i read that the denon would require some amping for it to shine truely?

what DACs do you recommend the Fiio E17 or E10 looks promising as i said my budget is a fair amount.

Having owned the D2000 and now the D7000, their sounstage is fair, more then closed cans, they can actually be categorized as semi-closed. It is more then enough for games, movies, and its decent for music. I would't say its a notable detracting factor. I wouldn't say it matches completely open cans, but it is not very far off.

It doesn't need an amp, it just needs a a little extra power, mainly a source providing enough current. 

The SS you described is IMO what makes the Denons special, and talking of specials, do some shopping and you can get the D5000 or D7000 at some good prices. As for amp/dac, a good all in one will have you smiling from ear to ear.

I am currently saving for the Yulong D100 II, its transparent, has a good built in headphone amp, especially for low impedance cans like the Dxk, and can act as a source for any other amp as well because it is mainly a dac. It also has a lot of inputs.

May 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Having owned the D2000 and now the D7000, their sounstage is fair, more then closed cans, they can actually be categorized as semi-closed. It is more then enough for games, movies, and its decent for music. I would't say its a notable detracting factor. I wouldn't say it matches completely open cans, but it is not very far off.

It doesn't need an amp, it just needs a a little extra power, mainly a source providing enough current. 

The SS you described is IMO what makes the Denons special, and talking of specials, do some shopping and you can get the D5000 or D7000 at some good prices. As for amp/dac, a good all in one will have you smiling from ear to ear.

I am currently saving for the Yulong D100 II, its transparent, has a good built in headphone amp, especially for low impedance cans like the Dxk, and can act as a source for any other amp as well because it is mainly a dac. It also has a lot of inputs.

I will probably get the D5000 then and combined with the FiiO E17..... seems like a good match up :) If anyone has any better ideas or opinions then say now :D ( i will buy them next week)

Also any UK sites for good headphone prices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back