Amps and DACs
Nov 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bobcow120

Head-Fier
If I have a $200 budget for an amp/dac would it be better to get an amp and a dac or spend all of it on a better amp and skip the dac. I would be hooking it up to my laptop and using a M80 or dt990 pro (getting soon hopefully)

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 11
If you're using it on a laptop, I would definitely go for a DAC/AMP combo as it will very likely be miles better than the built in sound.  Laptop sound cards are pretty notorious for being weak.

At $200, you could get a M+M stack from Schiit or if you're looking for something more portable you could go with an E17 from FiiO

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 11
  If you're using it on a laptop, I would definitely go for a DAC/AMP combo as it will very likely be miles better than the built in sound.  Laptop sound cards are pretty notorious for being weak.

At $200, you could get a M+M stack from Schiit or if you're looking for something more portable you could go with an E17 from FiiO

Weak as in low power output or bad sound quality due to poor DAC.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 11
E17 is great for beginners. But with your budget, you could consider Modi and magni combo or Aune T1

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 11
with your budget, I would go for modi and magni combo or T1.
what is the impedance of Dt 990?

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 11
You can make your own cords to connect the M+M stack, the Magni comes with a power brick (pretty sure) and the Modi runs off of a normal USB cord which would cut down on the extra cost.

And for the laptop chip, both.  You won't get the clarity you want out of the 250 Ohm DT990s or the volume to really make them sing.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 11

250 ohms. Would the T1 be a better value at $190 vs the Schiit stack with cords at around $250

E 17 is out of the game here, since the requirement is to drive 250 Ohm headphone.

well, T1 needs running cost (replacement of tubes). It would be safer to go for modi and magni stack. Both T1 and magni can drive upto 600 Ohm headphones.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 11
  You can make your own cords to connect the M+M stack, the Magni comes with a power brick (pretty sure) and the Modi runs off of a normal USB cord which would cut down on the extra cost.

And for the laptop chip, both.  You won't get the clarity you want out of the 250 Ohm DT990s or the volume to really make them sing.

If I wanted to buy the cables (off Amazon preferably) which ones would you suggest? (link please?)
  E 17 is out of the game here, since the requirement is to drive 250 Ohm headphone.

well, T1 needs running cost (replacement of tubes). It would be safer to go for modi and magni stack. Both T1 and magni can drive upto 600 Ohm headphones.

Ok so it looks like I'm going to get the Schiit stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back