Amps, amplifiers, watts, impedance, headphones.... need help to put the pieces together
Mar 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DonaldLL

New Head-Fier
Hello... I am new to serious headfi meaning I am just now late in life really getting into it and trying to learn. I got ahead of myself (easy to do) in that I have some good equipment but i need some knowledge to go with it. In 3 months time I have progressed from AKG 550s and a Dragonfly, to Lyr/Bifrost + LCD-2s, to Gungnir --> Mjolnir --> LCD-3s. Really this is all still burning in.

Where I get lost is when I read about the 'extra' umph it takes to push the orthodynamic HF like my Audeze, then I read about impedance of my HF which is like 60 ohms (is that high, low, or medium), then solid state has more wattage output (more amps) but how many watts should I really need to drive my HF properly? Tube amps seem like they are lower output that SS amps. But then I like the tube sound. So if I were to buy a tube amp (and another DAC) how much of an amp (in watts) do I need? Obviously, for example, many people pair Woo Audio and the Audeze HFs but then it seems that the Woo might not have enough power to drive them? What do I know...

So you can see I have this ball of confusion in my head. Are the LCD-3s hard to drive? Is it because they are ortho design or is it because they have 60 ohm impedance? Is 60 ohm that high? If some HF have 600 ohm impedance do they need a super power amp to drive them? 

Do I need .5W, 1W, 5W, or 10W to drive my LCD-3s properly?

Please pick your topic from the many above and help me put the pieces together

Ultimately I'd like to understand more so that when I buy my next DAC/amp (tube) I can make an informed decision.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back