Amplifying AV-710 output: Advice please
Jan 30, 2006 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

perdomot

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading that this card needs an amp but have not read about possible options for us noobs. Can someone please clear this up? I got a nice pair of Klipsch speakers which sound great but when I connect the headphones to the jack on the speakers, the volume is much lower. Is this the part that needs amplification and how would an amp affect the playback of the speakers themselves? If possible, can the replies include some examples of good affordable amps? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 4
This sound card needs an amp when using headphones. Plugging a pair of headphones straight into the card does not provide enough power to drive headphones to their optimal range.

I'm guessing your using Klipsch Pro Media speakers with your AV710. They are amplified speakers and do provide amplification through their headphone out. It's not the best headphone amp, but it will do the job.

If you have a pair of good quality headphones I'd suggest getting at least a CMOY to amp them (AV710 --> CMOY --> Headphones. Otherwise this issue doesn't really effect you.

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 4
710 is good only on it's "rear-out" (black) output, where high quality DAC is working unperturbed with any amplification. Amplification's left to the user's system

So eighter you attach (decently amplified) 2.0 speakers to it to get the full potential of the card, or a headphone amp. Alternatively, you can settle hooking up the speakers to the green output (DAC+amp) and a headphone amp to the black one...as most people do.

Good affordable amp...depending on the cans...this one is known to be the best for the money (60-70USD)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PA2V2-Headphones...QQcmdZViewItem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back