Amplifying 250 ohm headphones
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

sgraphics

Head-Fier
I just received a pair of DT-770's! Happy, joy.

The thing is, I dont have any headphone amps.

First I tried with my laptop soundcard.. very bad. Was a bit dissapointed.

Then I tried with SoundBlaster Live!, that had settings set to 2 speakers.. sounded like above.. I had mixed feelings. Highs were screeching, no midrange, lousy bass.

Then I set mu Live! to headphone mode. I dont no what it does but the sound changed drastically, highs weren't so harsh, midrange came and the bass was worthy of a basshead can. I dont know what the setting does, could someone explain... is it just some equalizer setting or does it apply more current to the output jack.

Now I'm trying my M-Audio Audiophile USB's headphone jack. And it is all bad again!!! Highs are harsh, no bass etc. Why?

Would it help if I bought some adapter and plugged the phones into the RCA output of the soundcard?

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 33
250 ohms is a higher impedance, and an amp is just a good idea period (IMO).

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 33
I know
frown.gif
Sorry for my wallet.

But for now, would that help
Quote:

Would it help if I bought some adapter and plugged the phones into the RCA output of the soundcard?

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 33
Ok, I now understand that i was talking gibberish, cuz RCA doesn't have any amplification.

Please recommend me the best value amplifyer for the dt-770 250 ohm. The cheaper, the better. Would be great if was both battery and electric powered. But battery isn't that imporant.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 33
It sounds like you could profit from a bit of burn-in?

An amp is a given, a cheap CMoy perhaps?

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgraphics
Ok, I now understand that i was talking gibberish, cuz RCA doesn't have any amplification.

Actually if your soundcard software has a digital volume control, you could theoretically hook to the RCA jacks (via an adapter). It would be an impedance mismatch though, and likely result in underdriven headphones with a good amount of distortion.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 33
Ouch!

I just received pocketamp v2 from Gary + bought an adapter for it (because it had the US type adapter).

At high volumes there is much distortion. And at the same volumes I get no distortion from my Audiophile USB.

I emailed Gary, he suggested charging the batteries for 12 h. Thats what I'll do next.

Anyway.. any comments about the distortion? It appears as if M-Audio aplifies better?

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Ouch!

Anyway.. any comments about the distortion? It appears as if M-Audio aplifies better?

Are you using the line-out of your soundcard, and if digitally volume regulated, do you have the setting 75% to max? Also check out your cells, faulty or incorrectly charged NiMH causes distortion.

I assume you observed the current requirements for the charger from Gary's site, and negative tip of course...

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
No distortion at all with DT990 and PA2V2.I used new rechargables with PA2V2 and have only had to charge it once,going on three weeks.

How many ohms is your DT990? And you have no distortion at all?

I charged the batteries and I still have distortion.

On another subject... are the dt770 supposed to have such strange midrange. Male voices are hollow and weird.

Also, some highs are really harsh or is it called sibilance...

So all in all they are good for trance (that I listen) and moreso for drum and bass and hip hop (that i dont listen).

I really miss my etno folk instrumental tracks I have. For 3 days I used AKG 271 with that kind of music and oh my god was it enjoyable. With dt770's its hollow. Then again 271 was really boring with my trance.

I cant buy both, can I. No no.

Maybe more burn in? Maybe better amp? Maybe return the DT770, I still could. But then what. I still love the bass on the DT's.

I'm not that happy at all with all the distortion and that midrange.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 33
My dt990 is 250 ohms.I think burn in would be a good way to go .I didnt really evaluate my dt990 until about 200 hours of burn in without my amp connected(Right out or a radio but i didnt listen to it as burn in took place)If this doesnt work out you might have a defective phone.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 33
It's no wonder that you don't like the Beyers w/ the PA2. I've tried my 880 with the PA2 and it sounded bad. I think the PA2 is geared more for lower impedance cans and IEMs.

You need to invest in another amp.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

On another subject... are the dt770 supposed to have such strange midrange. Male voices are hollow and weird.

Also, some highs are really harsh or is it called sibilance...

This rings a bell for me. I don't know about the distortion you hear, but when I was shopping for headphones I got my new shiny (well...) PA2v2 with me. The main contenders for me in stock were Beyer DT770-250 and DT250-80, both right out of the box with zero burn-in hours.

What I heard from the DT770 was very much in line with what you are telling, and I assumed the amp was not right for it or that the phone simply was not my cup of tea, or both. Plenty of nice bass but I'd like a little more wide-spectrum bliss.

The sound of DT250-80 with PA2v2 was what I was looking for, this gave a synergetic relationship through all components right into my brain. Usual disclaimers apply of course, I'm just telling from my modest experience.

I guess I never gave the DT770 a chance with the PA2v2, considering what Greatdane is saying.

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 33
GreatDane is correct. Trying to drive 250 ohm phones requires more than the PA2V2 can provide. My personal experience with Gary's fine little amp is phones of lower impedance (say, 120 ohms or less) are generally a much better match. The PA2V2 is a great little amp provided one knows its capabilities and doesn't try to exceed them.

A very nice amp that has enough juice to drive 250-300 ohm phones is the Xenos 3HA ($139 new), but sometimes can be found for less than $100 on the For Sale forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back