Amplifiers shootout for Stax 009 (Eddie Current Electra, AudioValve RKV + WooAudio Wee, Stax SRM727 / SRM007t2)
Oct 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #76 of 98
Thanks for the extra information Eric, especially in your notes. I see now how significance was determined. There are indeed some significant findings!

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #78 of 98
  THank you for this.
But why no BHSE in the comparison?  This is the reigning 'champ' when paired with the SR-009… so it would have been important to include it.

There were no BHSE amp available in France in September 2013 ;  only an Electra, an RKV-Wee and a SRM 727 and SRM 007t amp were compared as high-end amplifier, with this procedure.

Maybe later, when Phil95 or AliPacha receive (in France) their BHSE (actualy in command), and if they agree to lend itself to this kind of comparison, highly risky for the ego of the owner amp. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #80 of 98
 only an Electra, an RKV-Wee and a SRM 727 and SRM 007t amp were compared

There's the problem.....

A KGSS, KGSSHV, KGBH, BHSE, DIYT2, or even a Transistoramp Mk3 or 4 would have trumped that lot.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #81 of 98
  There's the problem.....

A KGSS, KGSSHV, KGBH, BHSE, DIYT2, or even a Transistoramp Mk3 or 4 would have trumped that lot.

You know the procedure of the test (to reread in page 1) : repeat the test with the same procedure and with 60 votes (minimum) for each comparison A / B of amplifiers ;  if you get a difference of opinion at least 15 votes (on 60 votes) in the comparative amp A / B, then you can say that the difference in vote (appreciation) of these two amps (A vs B) is significant. 

This is what we were able to prove by comparing the SRM 007t versus RKV-Wee (42 votes difference on 60 in favor for the RKV-Wee), but we have not succeeded in proving significant difference between Electra and RKV-Wee (only 4 votes difference on 60). 

So will you find more or less than 15 votes difference (on 60), for example, between Electra and KGSS ? 

I ask to see. 

It's to you to prove it !

Good luck ...  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #82 of 98
In the interests of Science, I will be doing my own tests soon (BHSE,WEE,LL2T), and post results here.  However, I may not be able to assemble enough suitably blindfolded subjects to make a statistically significant sample.  

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #85 of 98
In the interests of Science, I will be doing my own tests soon (BHSE,WEE,LL2T), and post results here.  However, I may not be able to assemble enough suitably blindfolded subjects to make a statistically significant sample.  

Sounds like a plan and I see you have good company :).

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #86 of 98
OK, I had a chance to compare the WOO WEE with inputs from an Eddie Current 445 (EML Mesh Plate output tubes) to the new Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2 T.  The LL2T is a hybrid amp utilizing 4 6S4A driver tubes with Solid State output.  The amps were driven by a dCS Vivaldi DAC and the signals were carefully equalized with a RANE DEQ 60L.  Listening volume was also equalized using pink noise.  The WEE connection was made with 18 AWG solid OCC copper hookup wire.  The Blue Hawaii SE never showed up, (to be expected I guess), so I had to proceed without it.  The headphones used were the STAX SR009's 

To make a long story short, the Cavalli LL2T was vastly superior to the WEE across the board, greater clarity, more uniform sound, and better sound stage, greater warmth and better tonal balance.  It is one great sounding amp!

I had a note from Eddie Current and they are working on a redesign of the Electra.  Estimated delivery would be April or May 2015

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #87 of 98
Hello,

Thank you for your opinion on this test of the combo EC445 / Woo Wee.

One note: the succession of two series of transformers: step-down (that of the EC445) followed by step-up transformers (1:50 of the Wee) is not recommended (interference between transformers and degradation of sound quality) .

To improve your combo EC445 / Wee it would be better to remove the output transformers step-down from 445 amp to operate in OTL mode, and replace the step-up transformers 1:50 of the Wee by the step-up transformers 1:5.9 of better quality (like that of the Verto) with lower ratio of voltage amplification, which can only be beneficial to the sound quality.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #89 of 98

To improve your combo EC445 / Wee it would be better to remove the output transformers step-down from 445 amp to operate in OTL mode, and replace the step-up transformers 1:50 of the Wee by the step-up transformers 1:5.9 of better quality (like that of the Verto) with lower ratio of voltage amplification, which can only be beneficial to the sound quality.

... and then remove all the internals of the EC445 and place a RKV mkII into the empty chassis... then say "Audiovalve, you are my master and I love thee", three times in the mirror.. swallow the red pill... and voila... you are part of an elite group of audiophiles fighting the "man"....

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #90 of 98

... and then remove all the internals of the EC445 and place a RKV mkII into the empty chassis... then say "Audiovalve, you are my master and I love thee", three times in the mirror.. swallow the red pill... and voila... you are part of an elite group of audiophiles fighting the "man"....

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back