Amplifiers HUH HUH What Question needs answer. Cheers.
May 28, 2005 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Snooze

New Head-Fier
Im kinda new to the quality headphone experience and a friend of mine has introduced me to headphone amplifiers.

But I cant hear that much difference with his SR60's with a 450.00 amp to no amp. In fact I thought it got worse.

So my question is

Does it depend on certain factors such as headphone quality/brand/anything you can think of.

I have SR80's now and would it be worthwhile purchasing a headphone amp, and what would you reccomend for say 80.00 to 150.00?

What exactly are you looking out for ? Bass/volume/clarity.

May 28, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 17
Im sorry guys but ive spent some time with my new sr80 and amp and I swear I cant hear any differance.

Ive heard also a set of sr60's with a highly regarded 450.00 dollar amp and again I just cant hear any bloody quality increase. the only thing im hearing is gain which can be easily achieved with the volume button.

I think I need someone to explain what the buzz is about amps because im sorry but I just cant get it and I think your mad.

May 28, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 17
Not really no, I wouldnt bother amping a Grado unless you get into MS-1 or SR-225 territory.

if your happy with the sound, leave it as it is and dont fuss about amps, if your not happy with the sound maybe you might like to try different headphones.

May 28, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snooze
Im sorry guys but ive spent some time with my new sr80 and amp and I swear I cant hear any differance.

Ive heard also a set of sr60's with a highly regarded 450.00 dollar amp and again I just cant hear any bloody quality increase. the only thing im hearing is gain which can be easily achieved with the volume button.

I think I need someone to explain what the buzz is about amps because im sorry but I just cant get it and I think your mad.

Congratulations! By not hearing any differences in amps you're saving yourself a ton of money, and if I were you I would not try to find out what the buzz is about amps, and I would instead just enjoy the music with your sr80 and amp.

May 28, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 17
That's because there is almost no difference with low-end grado's. I had a VERY hard time distinquishing the difference when I had grado's, even with my Lite. Listen to some hard to drive headphones out of an amp and you'll hear the difference right away

Leave you're grado's alone, they don't need to be amped. Maybe if you went up to the SR225's or SR325's

May 28, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 17
The SR-60 is a nice little entry level headphone that is easily driven straight out of the headphone jack of ANY audio device within the current limitations of the player.

Adding an amp between this device and the cans will usually give very little in the way of value for the money if the amp is one designed for voltage gain (volume increase) because there is one thing the Grado line does not need and that is more voltage gain (volume).

What Grados thrive on is current being a low impedance type and as much as you can feed them so if you expect improvement by "amping" look more to a buffered amp,a "current gain" amp than a straight gain stage amp.

If you have the skills you might want to just back off the loop gain of your present amp to arounf x2 or x3 and do some opamp rolling with higher current devices.Especially if you find yourself using only the very beginning portion of the volume control on the player and amp (the absolute worst section of a dual volume pot) which is a dead giveaway you have too much gain in your portable system.

May 28, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
If you have the skills you might want to just back off the loop gain of your present amp to arounf x2 or x3 and do some opamp rolling with higher current devices.Especially if you find yourself using only the very beginning portion of the volume control on the player and amp (the absolute worst section of a dual volume pot) which is a dead giveaway you have too much gain in your portable system.

Rick, I don't think he has an amp.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

which amp? what is your source? grados only increase marginally with an amp.

May 28, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
which amp? what is your source? grados only increase marginally with an amp.

x2... If your unamped setup is a robust circuit chances (although slim) are it may even be a strep down.

Garrett

May 28, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 17
I concur with the others, grados are one of those phones that don't really need amping, until you get to a certain point IMO. How critical your ears will also come into play. Or, it could be your source, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back