Amplifiers for around the $100 range?
Nov 22, 2006 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

scottymac

Head-Fier
Hi, i'm thinking about going down to look at headphone amplifiers. problem is, the only brand i've heard of is headroom (are the total bitheads good/worth the money?). What are some brands/models i should keep an eye out for?

i have a pair of sennheiser hd 555s and etymotic er-6i. thanks!

edit: i could go as much as $200. but they better be damn good at that price
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 20
What do you plan on using the amp for? Portable or home? There are many portable amps (PA2V2, cmoy, airhead) in your price-range, as far as home amps go, the only one I can think of is the Little Dot II for $95 plus shipping and you can find it on ebay.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 20
I guess for at home use... these would be more for my senn hd 555s then the earbuds. but, i could go for a portable amp as long as it still significantly, notably improves sound quality. is the difference with a headphone amp really that good? how does the sound change? i'm a huuuuuuuuuge n00b when it comes to headphone amps. again, all i have really have read about are the headroom amps...

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 20
If you are willing to pay 200$ you can get a very solid Original Master Amp. They are produced in China and supposedly have a good sound. Check this out: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176756 If you believe that what you pay is what you get then Original Master should be a much better buy than Little Dot which I think is no more available anyway and vastly better than basic portable amps. I think that AAA-audio sells them. That is my proposition and I am sure that you shall find something worthwhile. Take care.

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 20
Amps do make a difference, especially with full size headphones although not so much with your earbuds. With full size headphones, the bass will sound deeper and the overall sound will get much better and with earbuds the soundstage will widen a bit, but you'll need to pay attention to tell. $200 is a nice budget to work with and you'll be able to get a Little Dot II ++ with it, but there are many other amps (including more reputable ones than the LD) at that price range such as the Corda HeadFive.

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 20
And consider the custom Xenos 0HA-REP with the AD823 input and LMH6654MA output chips. At $122 less shipping, it's the cheapest amp I really, really like (I'm personally debating if to go with it or the Faith AMP for my next and hopefully last buy). If you want to order the customised version you have to ask Alberto directly.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And consider the custom Xenos 0HA-REP with the AD823 input and LMH6654MA output chips. At $122 less shipping, it's the cheapest amp I really, really like (I'm personally debating if to go with it or the Faith AMP for my next and hopefully last buy). If you want to order the customised version you have to ask Alberto directly.

oops - nvm. Saw LMH6654MA as output instead.

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 20
is the Cmoy a last option as far as amps go for something portable? the Little Dot II is not portable at all ...

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbeze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the Cmoy a last option as far as amps go for something portable? the Little Dot II is not portable at all ...

theres always the Little Dot Micro+

its friggin small and the battery lasts longer than the energizer bunny
580smile.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 20
but ... lets just say i purchased some beyerdynamic DT770's, would a Cmoy amp be garbage compared to un-amped from a ipod?

is the price difference worth it for the Little Dot Micro +

Users who are viewing this thread

Back