Amplifier wattage too low?
Nov 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thesuperguy

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a very nice looking pair of speakers online and they supposedly crank out 130W. However, in a compromise towards the price of the speakers, I purchased a lower end amp which can only crank out 20W*2. I am just wondering how/if the lack of power from the amp will affect the speakers.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I recently bought a very nice looking pair of speakers online and they supposedly crank out 130W. However, in a compromise towards the price of the speakers, I purchased a lower end amp which can only crank out 20W*2. I am just wondering how/if the lack of power from the amp will affect the speakers.

There's many more factors impacting your experience with this setup: impedance and effectiveness of the speakers, output impedance of the amp, even the technology of the amp. One thing is certain though: the speakers are capable of goint twice as loud as the amp will be able to drive them. Other than that, if the impedances are matched, the 20W amp should be fine even at reasonably loud listening levels, unless you are planning to use it in a large room.
The difference with higher output amp is that distortions will be noticeable at lower volume levels. Whether you ever go loud enough to notice is another story. I'm using 75W speakers with 15W amp and for my study this setup is more than sufficient.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 12
The answer is:

how efficient are your speakers?
how loud do you want to listen?
how big is the space you want to listen it?
how far away will you sit from your speakers?

the answer depends on all these factors

with a reasonably efficient set of speakers, it is surprsing how loud 1 Watt of power is.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 12
+1 i have set up small cute TA2020 T-amp with "180w rated" floor standers for peeps with smallish/mid sized TV rooms with great results using fairly efficient floor standers :p

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 12
Efficiency (amp) Can't find efficiency for speakers.
88% @ 12W 8ohm
81% @ 20W 4ohm

The speakers are 6ohm

These speakers are being used in a moderately small room and positioned a maximum of 3 meters away from me. I was hoping to get the volume to something similar to earphones on a moderately loud volume.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 12
If you regularly run with your volume set at more than about half of full, you might consider a more powerful amp if clean sound is important to you. 

The power rating of speakers is typically the largest amp that they can handle, not the recommended size. The efficiency of the speaker is what you should look at (typically dB SPL at 1 m with 1 W of drive). If you search "amplifier power speaker dB SPL" you'll find a plethora of descriptions of how to figure out how much power you are likely to need.

I still run a NAD 310 25-Watt integrated amp and original NHT Super Zeros from the same era and find it more than adequate in my rooms.

NHT SuperZero: two-way, acoustic-suspension minimonitor. Drive-units: 4.5" paper-cone woofer, 1" soft-dome tweeter. Frequency response: 85Hz-25kHz, ±3dB. Crossover frequency & slopes: 2.2kHz, 6 and 12dB/octave. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 7.5 ohms minimum. Sensitivity: 86dB/W/m. Power handling: 100W maximum, 15W minimum.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 12
Efficiency (amp) Can't find efficiency for speakers.
88% @ 12W 8ohm

81% @ 20W 4ohm

The speakers are 6 Ohm.
These speakers are being used in a moderately small room and positioned a maximum of 3 meters away from me. I was hoping to get the volume to something similar to earphones on a moderately loud volume.

Hi,
The amplifier efficiency tells us nothing useful relative to your situation.
But at 3 meteres away in a smallish room at a moderately loud volume tou will probably be OK.

The 25 Watt NAD works OK for jeffsf!

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Well I've determined that the sensitivity of the speakers has to do with efficiency so I'll post that here.

The speakers have a sensitivity of 85dB. From what I've been reading, 85dB is generally low efficiency...

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 12
Well I've determined that the sensitivity of the speakers has to do with efficiency so I'll post that here.

The speakers have a sensitivity of 85dB. From what I've been reading, 85dB is generally low efficiency...

85 dB is rather low, but jeffsf uses 86 dB speakers with a 25 Watt NAD amp.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 12
Peeps have reported being happy with the 84dB Pioneer BS21s mated with TA2020s
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back