Amplifier Warm Up Timings...
Aug 8, 2003 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all...

Something that might be good for noobs, and veterans alike...

I've noticed with my META42 more than any other amp that it is critical of how long it is powered up before it sounds good (I am using it in battery mode, so am unable to leave it on permanently)... so just wondering if we can have a compendium for how long an amp should be left on for (model #'s etc) before it sounds optimal

I'll start the ball rolling with a 'kitted out' Meta42 @ 45 minutes... before that sounds midrange peaky, lack of bass and general cohesion is lacking

...Over to you
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 4
I am not sure i usually just let my cd player and amp warm up for about 10mins then listen. Maybe i should always leave it on because there both tube. I remember talking to the dealer when I bought my cd player he said the player only needs about 5 mins to reach optimum sound and he said solid state also takes alot longer to warm up.

When i bought my mg head i think the dealer said you should let it warm up for about 20-25 mins but i thinik the improvements are preety subtle. Maybe i should let it warm up for half an hour or so, but time is money..
600smile.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Solid state does seem to take a while. I used to have Goldmund gear and that stuff took 2 days before the sound settled down.

Tubes are usually pretty much done after about an hour. However, there is some debate about the sound getting worse after leaving tube gear on for extended periods of time (i.e. several days). Of course, turning it on and off will likely shorten tube life more than keeping it on (despite the electricity cost).

I tell people to just keep it on if you know you are going to listen to it on consecutive days but if you know you won't be listening for a while then power tube gear down.

Aug 9, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 4
My preamp takes 3-4 days to warm up.
With a cold start, the high frequencies have some anomalies. Wierd no one can hear it but me. Prob all in my head.

The poweramp is good to go in about 20 mins.

My cdp doesnt seem to be affected by warm up. Sounds just the same.

I keep my gear on always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back