Amplifier Recommendation for AKG 240M (600 ohm) or Beyer DT900 (600 ohm)
Apr 3, 2008 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ghost87

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a little guidance...

Was viewing a pair of AKG 240m's on E-Bay...but noticed they were rated at 600 ohms. Now on the forum, I see that Beyerdynamic makes 600 ohm headphones as well (DT900, DT880 etc...)

1. Would any quality headphone amplifier sufficently drive these type headphones?

2. What particular specifications would I look at on a headphone amplifier

3. Give me some recommendations... Any particular headphone amplifiers which you could recommend to match with one of the above 600 ohm headphones.

Cheers

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 16
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's in the 600 ohm capacity, and drive them via my Corda HA-2 mkII SE Amplifier. This amp seems to work well, with the exception that I must turn the volume up 3/4 of the way (1-3 pm on the dial)

My amp has two outputs to plug the headphones in...0 ohm and 120 ohm. Curious what output others use when driving their 600 ohm headphones

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was viewing a pair of AKG 240m's on E-Bay...but noticed they were rated at 600 ohms. Now on the forum, I see that Beyerdynamic makes 600 ohm headphones as well (DT900, DT880 etc...)

1. Would any quality headphone amplifier sufficently drive these type headphones?

3. Give me some recommendations... Any particular headphone amplifiers which you could recommend to match with one of the above 600 ohm headphones.

Cheers

Most higher power SS and almost any good OTL tube amp will drive them. High impedence headphones like these require lots of voltage swing. Tubes are voltage devices and hence work wonderfully with a 600 ohm impedence. The only exception would be some transformer coupled tube amps that have output transformers optimized for low impedences.

Some SS amps dont like high impedences but I drove the 240M fine with a Headamp GS-1 .... although I needed to use the high gain setting and a high setting on the volume control. My best results sonically with the 240M, IMO, were with one of my Singlepower amps, like the PPX3 .... or with a Modded Doge 6210 (that had a 600 ohm impedence setting).

So, in summary, tubes being voltage devices will generally do a better job with a 600 ohm load. As for specs, look for an amp with a rated output into 600 ohms.

PPX3 specs as an example ....

Specifications:

Input impedance: 100K ohm
Output Impedance: < 20 Ohms
Power supply capacitance: 215 uF
Rectification: silicon
Power output < 0.5 watts
Usable headphone range: 16 to 2000 ohms.
Total distortion < 0.1%
Volume control: Noble
Input RCA: Gold Plated Teflon insert
Output Headphone Jack: Neutrik Standard Chrome Nose
Milled aluminum Knob
1/8" thick aluminum chassis

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most higher power SS and almost any good OTL tube amp will drive them. High impedence headphones like these require lots of voltage swing. Tubes are voltage devices and hence work wonderfully with a 600 ohm impedence. The only exception would be some transformer coupled tube amps that have output transformers optimized for low impedences.

So, in summary, tubes being voltage devices will generally do a better job with a 600 ohm load. As for specs, look for an amp with a rated output into 600 ohms.

What he said: Voltage swing.
My favourite amp for the Sextet is the Earmax Pro. A full, natural sounding, exciting and yet not fatiguing combination.

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My tube Wheatfield HA1 drives my 600 ohm AKG240M phones nicely. My Go-Vibe v2 seems to do a good job too. Is this possible?

The Go-Vibe can do a good job with loudness but do overall dynamics and bass extension compare to the Wheatfield?

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cheers

HR-2 can drive any headphone this side of the K1000. I have the 250 ohm version of the DT990, & the volume gets very loud before the midway point on the knob..

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Go-Vibe can do a good job with loudness but do overall dynamics and bass extension compare to the Wheatfield?

Surprisingly well. The Wheatfield tubes offer a different sound, but the Bass seems equally deep and dynamic on the Go-Vibe.

May 31, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 16
To resurrect this thread, how would a hybrid amp (tube/SS) like the Millett MAX handle 600 ohms?

May 31, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 16
i think you have asked the most interesting aspect of headphone amps and headphone inpendance,first the range
of 16ohms - 600ohms is huge , i think there should be no one amp that can drive all this range,second you going to get a compromised result between volume and impendance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back