Amplifier recommendation for 400 ohm cans
Jun 22, 2019 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sorinv

New Head-Fier
I started a collection of Grundig vintage headphones. Most of these are 400 ohms, so I am looking for a quality headamp that would work well with these. To get an idea of what we're talking about, some of them came with adapters to plug them directly into the speaker output of the amplifiers.

I currently have a chinese JLH 1969 amp that works quite well, but I am reluctant to use it because of too much DC. I'll continue using it after I manage to get some DC offset circuit for it.

In the meantime, I am looking for a desktop (or portable) amp recommendation that would work well with such phones.

I prefer DIY types, or populated boards that I can place in an enclosure myself. I am open to fully built recommendations though.

In terms of budget, I'd like to keep under $200. That's why I prefer DIY, since it can keep cost down and performance up.

Looking forward for your recommendations.

Thanks,
Sorin

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Bottlehead Crack and Little Dot MkII are OTL tube amps designed specifically for high impedance headphones. If you don't have any low impedance (much less also lower sensitivity) headphones these are your best bet.

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the recommendations @ProtegeManiac , I really appreciate it. Little Dot MkII seems like a good match for my needs.

I do have lower impedance cans as well, but I am going to build some other amplifier just for them.

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 6
If you are looking for DIY, the Bottlehead stuff gets great marks around here in my experience.

If "build it better than I can" is a consideration, I have many many good things to say about my Woo Audio WA-3. Yes I did upgrade to a 421A, but that was a case of going from strength to strength.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 6
I started a collection of Grundig vintage headphones. Most of these are 400 ohms, so I am looking for a quality headamp that would work well with these. To get an idea of what we're talking about, some of them came with adapters to plug them directly into the speaker output of the amplifiers.
I currently have a Chinese JLH 1969 amp that works quite well, but I am reluctant to use it because of too much DC. I'll continue using it after I manage to get some DC offset circuit for it.
In the meantime, I am looking for a desktop (or portable) amp recommendation that would work well with such phones.
I prefer DIY types, or populated boards that I can place in an enclosure myself. I am open to fully built recommendations though.
In terms of budget, I'd like to keep under $200. That's why I prefer DIY, since it can keep cost down and performance up.
Looking forward for your recommendations. Thanks, Sorin
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROJECT-ST...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks of the recommendations. WA3 seems a little too expensive for now, but I'll add it to my list for the future.

The project starlight looks interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back