Amplifier recomandation.
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Radugay123

New Head-Fier
I've just bought a pair of Pioneer HDJ 1500-W headphones.
Can you please reccomand me the best amp within 100 euros that I should get in order to boost their sound? I'm looking for a balanced and powerful sound. No dj related stuff, only for listening to music.
Also, is there any software that could slightly help me?

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 9
I've just bought a pair of Pioneer HDJ 1500-W headphones.
Can you please reccomand me the best amp within 100 euros that I should get in order to boost their sound?

Pioneer didn't publish the sensitivity spec, there's just a figure of 108dB. Assuming that's either efficiency as 108dB/1v, and not even sensitivity which would be 108dB/1mW, even its equivalent sensitivity would be relatively high. Probably around 100dB/1mW.

Either way that would mean it doesn't need a lot of power to get loud (though it would still need around 150mW, if its sensitivity was around 100dB/1mW). Were you using it with a smartphone? Because Euro devices tend to have some kind of output limiter. If it's a reasonably older phone you look up if there's some kind rooting trick that can get around that plus the OEM limitation (that manufacturers put in to ensure that they'll cap the power and thus not be handicapped in media playback battery tests). Snapdragon built in audio chips have a fair bit more power that they don't utilize.

I'm looking for a balanced and powerful sound. No dj related stuff, only for listening to music.

Maybe the Fiio Q1 MkII.

Also, is there any software that could slightly help me?

Depends...software for what OS and what exactly do you need it to do? If it's for Android then look in XDA forum and check if there's a way to unlock the audio chip first since it's free (although if you do it the wrong way you can brick the phone, so...well...just read through everything).

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 9
I was forced to make a quick decision so I went with the Cambrige Audio DacMagic XS. I can still cancel the order, if you say that I'd waste my money. I need it for windows 7, I won't take the headphones out of my house, I'll try keeping them as much as possible

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 9
I was forced to make a quick decision so I went with the Cambrige Audio DacMagic XS. I can still cancel the order, if you say that I'd waste my money. I need it for windows 7, I won't take the headphones out of my house, I'll try keeping them as much as possible

Should be OK for those headphones.

I have no idea how a this kind of software works tho, I just want to get the best of my headphones

Yeah but what kind exactly? There are many different kinds.

Drivers - some DACs don't work with generic Windows drivers (oddly enough, some of such DACs will work with generic Android drivers).

Music players - for playing local content; includes dedicated streaming apps (instead of opening these on the browser) like Spotify

Equalizer - can be built into music player apps or you can run a global EQ app that affects everything, including browser and streaming apps.

I see that the fiio has 112mW and the DacMagic 105mW, or is this how it works?

7mW isn't that much of a difference.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 9
I've read the specifications again from the official website, it's actually 150mW.
Might there be a chance that the amp I bought will be compatible with android if i'll use an adapter for the usb port?
I am using spotify, idt that there's any better music player, am I right?
Do you know any global EQ that might be worth buying if there's no good free one?

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 9
I've read the specifications again from the official website, it's actually 150mW.
Might there be a chance that the amp I bought will be compatible with android if i'll use an adapter for the usb port?

Possibly but the adapter isn't your only problem - there's the USB driver which if it doesn't work means you'll have to use a music player that has other USB drivers embedded, like Neutron Music Player and Audio Player Pro. And then there's whether your particular phone can provide 5v 500mA to it since the XS doesn't have its own power source.

If you plan on using it with a phone you might as well cancel it and order the Fiio Q1 MkII.

I am using spotify, idt that there's any better music player, am I right?

Depends. There's Foobar with EQ and Crossfeed plug ins for Windows, and there's Neutron Music Player which is kind of like having the 2ch smartphone equivalent of a car with a dedicated ///////ALPINE processor. But you have to use locally stored (lossless) music and actually know how to work the EQ and other DSP features (especially with the manual controls on Neutron) as they won't work (with streaming services) or you'll just mess up the sound.

Do you know any global EQ that might be worth buying if there's no good free one?

Equalizer APO is free and has practically all the EQ features needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back