Amplifier/Receiver for Infinity primus p162
Dec 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rocky2

New Head-Fier
Hi
       I need to connect my Infinity primus p162 speakers to computer. I heard it does not work without a receiver/amplifier. Since it needs to be given power. I have an x-head headphone amp , but it wont work with speaker set up,right?
   Can anyone suggest a budget amplifier/receiver. or a used one? I will be mainly using it for listening to music. no plans for a surround sound system now. So a two channel stereo one will do.

Infinity primus p162 specifications

Frequency Response (±3dB) 49Hz - 20kHz
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 - 150 watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 90dB
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

I won an ebay item -JVC r-x310 stereo receiver. (with shipping, it will cost me around 37). Does any one know anything about this model? Have not bought it yet. The seller told he doesnt know the watt specification for the model..

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 4
those are nice speakers. you want to be careful under-powering them >read. using a headphone amp not recommended. that JVC receiver might do the job; I've no idea. personally I'd look for a used dedicated speaker amp; to be on the safe side. you'll also need speakers cables, and IC's to connect the amp to the PC.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 4
The 162 is reasonably easy to drive. Since it's on your PC, I doubt you are trying to listen from across a large room (so max volume is relatively limited). You can run off most any decent AVR. If you are after just an amp, try parts express.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-812

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 4
thanks guys...i didnt go thr the JVC r-x310  item...i bought a harman kardon avr 130 from craigslist for 75 bucks.amazing sound even thr my Koss KPH/6 ..i have a mini to RCA connector bought for my x-head amp...i used it to connect from computer to receiver..Is that what Lenni meant by IC's? then i connected headphone thr its headphone jack..
 now i think i will buy the speaker cables...my room is full of stuff.so no surrond for me..Yes,i dont need that much max volume..i think avr 130 gives upto 45W i think which will be enough for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back