Amplifier pre amp, uses..
May 24, 2021 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

der luda

100+ Head-Fier
I would ask for your opinion, I have the following question ... Misconception?

I want to operate my tube amp at the pre-amp output of my DAC / streamer. Normally with a chinc cable, pre-amp on a tube amp.
... I've already done this with the Sony TA-ZH1 ES pre out on a normal tube amo, it worked wonderfully. .....

Now someone told me in a discussion that it couldn't be done that way. It only goes pre out .... on pre in connection.

Somehow I don't know my way around right now ...... thanks :wink:

May 24, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 6
You’re a bit unclear about the properties of this tube amp.
If it is a power-amp, no problem.

If it is about connecting a DAC/preamp to a integrated amp, it can be done.
It is a bit “weird” as you are connecting a pre-amp to a pre-amp but it can be done.
In fact a DAC has an analog stage to beef up the output.
If you make this stage variable, you have a DAC / pre-amp.
Some DAC’s do allow you to choose between Volume Control or “Fixed”
If they don’t, It is a bit inconvenient as you have 2x volume control but as long as you don’t overdrive the input op the tubeamp, you’re fine.

May 24, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 6
I would ask for your opinion, I have the following question ... Misconception?

I want to operate my tube amp at the pre-amp output of my DAC / streamer. Normally with a chinc cable, pre-amp on a tube amp.
... I've already done this with the Sony TA-ZH1 ES pre out on a normal tube amo, it worked wonderfully. .....

Now someone told me in a discussion that it couldn't be done that way. It only goes pre out .... on pre in connection.

Somehow I don't know my way around right now ...... thanks :wink:

What streamer and what tube amp are you using?

Some streamers have preamp controlled output ie you can change the volume via the streamer. Some amps ie integrated amps have both a preamp circuit and the amplifier circuit in one amp; some pure amplifiers only have the amp circuit.

And when you used it with the Sony were you using the actual preamplifier control output? Because some DAC-HPamp-Preamp units like AudioGDs only need removing or putting in a jumper to switch between having a DAC line out or a Preamp output. Your Sony might have this in case you were using an integrated tube amp.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 6
It's the new Naim unizi atom HE and the Feliks Elise. Basically, I don't care if the volume of the Naim also influences the Feliks.
It's the same with the DAP line out :wink:

The Feliks already has its own preamp circuit, just hook it up to the Naim's RCA output. There's a switch there to disable preamp control there or if it's completely digital control, try this: set the amp to minimum output volume, then max out the Naim. Slowly turn the knob on the amp. If you get a good radius on the amp's knob the Naim's control is digital and you should actually just use it this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back