Amplifier picks up radio station! Help!
Dec 14, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #31 of 39
DANG COLLEGE KIDS AND THEIR DELINQUENT RADIO STATIONS!!

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #32 of 39
I liked my Heed Canamp in the beginning! But after a while I got radio signals through it. I gave it away to my father in law, who lives in Russia, but he got the same problems there. So buying this unit, was a totally waste of money! Approximately 500 dollars lost!

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #33 of 39
I´ve received a Canamp yesterday purchased from a head-fier, and found the same FM radio interference problems, mainly at lower and highest position of the volume control. Never experienced these issues with my K271´s connected to the Xonar D2 or even using my Sony receiver with a large 14 meter interconnect plugged to the Xonar too.
Tried disconnecting the input cables, plugging the heed into a different outlet, plugging hifiman RE2 with other 1/8 adapter to the amp, etc. The only thing that cancels this interference a bit is touching de 1/8 adapter while listening.
Any ideas on how to fix this ground issue?

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 39
I can also hear a small noise every time I press a key... C´mon! The heed is a very popular amp, I´m sure someone can help!
Could anyone solve this problem with ferrite clips?

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

I always thought this problem was do to a an oscillation not grounding.

I´d really wish to know about electricity, believe me.
First I´ve tested with aluminum paper covering the headphones cable with good results. Then bought the ferrite and obtanined similar results (testing all over the cable to find the perfect spot to clip on). The results are fine and a more organized - cleaner solution over my desktop.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #38 of 39
there are some really cheap RCA cables that do not have "360 degree" shield termination so a small step up in IC quality can sometimes help in keeping RF out - video RCA cable would be expected to do this right

for RF it is usually more important for the signal input gnd to be connected to the chassis than the power gnd - are the input RCA gnd isolated from the chassis?

ferrite cores that power, signal IC or even headphone cable can be (separately) passed through/clamped on can also cut RF entry in some instances - although usually on by a few dB

I have read of really severe RF interference such that demodulated RF could be heard with the power off

if you can establish that it is the local transmiter you can contact their engineer - it is their responsibility to not interfere with consumer electronics (assuming the electronics in question meets EMI standards)

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

there are some really cheap RCA cables that do not have "360 degree" shield termination so a small step up in IC quality can sometimes help in keeping RF out - video RCA cable would be expected to do this right

The RF interferences persisted even with the input cables - RCA´s were unplugged from the amp. Also plugged the Heed to many outlets with same results.
I wonder why I´ve never had these issues with my audio/computer equipment before.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back