Amplifier for AKG K-1000
Mar 14, 2004 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yammy1688

100+ Head-Fier
Hoping for some advice.

I am moving my Prehead/HD600/CI VAC1/VD1 combo to work and have decided on a pair of AKG K1000's as a replacement on my home setup. Initially, I was going to go the speaker route, but I came to my senses, as living in a one bedroom apt with three cats isn't very conducive to expensive speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, seeing as how the K1000's hook directly to an amp, it opens up a whole world of possibilities. I've decided to NOT go with a headphone only amp, as I might decide on speakers later on. My front-end is a Wadia 301 using Luminous Audio synchrestra ICs. Listening is mostly Jazz and classical with some occasional rock/ambient stuff.

I have my eyes set on the Blue Circle BC24, but not so sure how good of a match it would be for the K1000s. It is a hybrid amp but since both my source and the K1000's are on the analytical side, I think maybe a fully tube amp would be better? Others I've been looking at are Rogue Audio M120/88/66, BAT VK60, Conrad Johnson MV60, Cary SLP, and Monarchy Audio SE160s.

The reason I like the BC24 is due to it's rather compact size, and less 'tube-hassle', seeing as it only has two NOS tubes. I'm somewhat deterred by amps with exposed tubes, or too many tubes, because of my cats... but if the sound justifies it then comprimise is in order
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, I guess what I'm really asking is whether anyone has a clue whether the BC24 would work well with these cans, and if not, could point me in the right direction!
THANKS!

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 6
In my experience, and also following the recommendations of a significant number of the gurus amongst us, you are completely correct in thinking that a fully tubed amplifier design is by far the best solution for the K1000's. I'll follow with a PM on this.

JC

Mar 20, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Havent heard of any BC24 amp. But many here regard the AudioValve MkII as a very good amp to them. Another good tube amp soloution to them would be an MG Head OTL 32. And for solid state, a Grace 901.

The prices on these vary a bit, the grace is around $1400, the AudioValve MkII is around $1000 and the MG Head OTL 32 is $595 at ASL's homepage.

For info on syngeries with the K1000 with the Grace 901, contact Edwood. For syngeries with the MG Head OTL 32, talk to lan. Dont know anyone around here with the AudioValve MkII but someone will probably show up in this thread.

Mar 20, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 6
I have not heard those amps you mentioned so I cannot comment about them.

While I like tube amps w/ K1000, that's not to say solid state doesn't work. It depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. Can you describe that?

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 6
The RKV/K1000 is an awesome combo. Beatutiful midrange that makes vocals sing. There have been several posts and threads that suggest the RKV was made for the K1000. But note, I have not heard the Grace nor the MG Head.

Even my non-audio friends were impressed the first time they heard the k1000/RKV combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back