Amplification through Z-5300 speaker headphone jack?
Feb 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Z-5300 speakers and read that the headphone jack they have on the volume control is amplified. What I want to know is do you think this amp will work on a 250 Ohm headphone like the beyerdynamic dt990? Wil it be losing quality using that as oppose to a dedicated amp?

My plan is probably to connect the following: Asus Xonar DG --> Z-5300 --> Beyerdynamic DT990 (or other 250 ohm headphone).

What do you think ? Thanks !!

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I have the Z-5300 speakers and read that the headphone jack they have on the volume control is amplified. What I want to know is do you think this amp will work on a 250 Ohm headphone like the beyerdynamic dt990? Wil it be losing quality using that as oppose to a dedicated amp?

My plan is probably to connect the following: Asus Xonar DG --> Z-5300 --> Beyerdynamic DT990 (or other 250 ohm headphone).

What do you think ? Thanks !!

Heya,

It would be very poor to use that "amplified jack" of that computer speaker HTIB setup. Very noisy, low current output, poor power supply, it'll be grainy, noisy and have a noise floor probably. I would avoid it like the plague. It will sound literally starkly different from a true dedicated amplifier. Even a little $50 amp would absolutely stomp all over that with it's quality.

If you output from your DG's optical to your Z5300, and simply plug your Beyers into the DG directly, you'd be better off than trying to use the Z5300's headphone jack.

Otherwise, I would suggest a Fiio E10 here up to a Schiit Magni. Or soundcard wise, time for a sound blaster Zx.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back